Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It‘s a shame smart made a decision of discontinuing the 453 ice. Just sell a EV here. Which put the final nail on the coffins, smart brand here. This You Tube video, features a test drive of that car. The smooth shifting The dual clutch transmission. Plenty of power to keep with traffic. Great handing.

·
Registered
511 Posts
.9 liter turbocharged from a naturally aspirated 1 liter. The 453 Renault ran circles around the 451 Mitsubishi. Topping out at 85 to an even Hundo? Gosh are these cars fun to drive. I forgot about the crosswind technology the 453 has that the bucking bronco didn't! It's so unfair that MB rode the coattails of the Swatch Mercedes ART platform to push the gas guzzlers for fuel credits!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yep, our 453 is a hoot. 'Specially with the 5-speed (aka millennial anti-theft device).

S u b R o s a

·
Registered
511 Posts
Mooneyes. I think I paid 50 for the set. They went along with the car. I had to dump the car because Household 6 couldn't drive a stick.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I laughed when I read your last sentence, Plenty of power to keep up with traffic...
Welll gas cars can't keep up with my electric Smart car.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Do they really get the low mileage per charge, or is that somebody drinking a 2 liter of Haterade

·
Registered
139 Posts
Low Mileage? All depends on where you drive daily,
I know electric cars are not for most people but I chose them because they do work for me and my wife, We own 2 electric cars and love driving past crowded gas stations!
Plus zipping past gas powered sleds revving high to take off from a light as we zip ahead quietly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The range on the ev just don't work for country folks. If you live in town and a short commute, that's different. Most of us don't. Also getting an EV charged is not up to snuff yet either. Have to admit, my gas unit is fun to drive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can't speak for our Canadian friends, but the Fortwo was a tough sell in the U.S. Suburbs, interstates, wider road network, urban planning meant for bigger vehicles, obsession with SUV's, etc. It's a natural for Europe and other condensed areas, but it was a long shot for us. Thankfully, a few of us discovered we don't necessarily need the parking and maneuvering advantages. Short-wheelbased cars with a spunky engine just happen to feel like street-legal go-karts. And that's a good thing! Woohoo!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I can't speak for our Canadian friends, but the Fortwo was a tough sell in the U.S. Suburbs, interstates, wider road network, urban planning meant for bigger vehicles, obsession with SUV's, etc. It's a natural for Europe and other condensed areas, but it was a long shot for us. Thankfully, a few of us discovered we don't necessarily need the parking and maneuvering advantages. Short-wheelbased cars with a spunky engine just happen to feel like street-legal go-karts. And that's a good thing! Woohoo!
Just means that there's more smarts for those of us who appreciate them. I'm up to three myself. Condo neighbors hate me, but f them if they can't handle two smarts in one space.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Nobody talks about an SUV in a parking corral at Menard's! There is no way We can change the flavor of their Haterade. All we can do is support each other by "leaving it on the field" and hope our community doesn't pose the same fate as the Yugo.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I love my Smart and I live in suburbia in a large city full of interstates and I just drive surface streets because the 83mph governor is too slow for traffic, sure the speed limit is 65 in town on freeways but traffic flows from 85 to 100 on all Phoenix freeways.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts