Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi smartie community!
I've had mine for almost a year now, and after her 10K servicing I noticed that the area behind the parking break (where the engine is) gets really, really hot. Like, so hot that it actually makes the inside of the vehicle hot.
When I took my fortwo pure back to the shop to have them check the transmission, they said everything was in order. I can't help feeling that I didn't notice this heat until AFTER the servicing, but they seemed to be telling me that it was pretty standard.
Does this happen to your vehicle too?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi smark, thanks so much for your quick reply. What do you mean by that? The felt covered thing, or whatever lies beneath it? (As you can tell, I'm not especially car-savvy.) The felt thing has an opening in it for the parking brake to come through, are you saying the heat is coming through there? It certainly feels like it, but I have no idea how I would stop that up.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
800 Posts
in the very back under the carpet is the engine cover (lower the tailgate). It sounds like the cover is not under the front guides to make a good airtight seal. There is a turnlock in the rear center. Do not lift the cover by this but loosen the cover and pull to the rear and look at the front and you should see two guides that the front of that cover has to go under. I think that is right.

·
aka 'smart-1'
1,923 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
It's curious that some have this problem and others do not. I'm in the do not camp. I'm really heat intolerant and I've never noticed this issue in my smart (08).

On the other hand, if it's not cold outside my A/C is blasting and that might mask it, LOL.

·
Registered
212 Posts
That hand brake cover is really nice. I have one and was looking for another for my FL smart, but they don't seem to be around any longer - the link to the vendor did not work and none of that type have shown on eBay in years.

-Barry-

·
Registered
839 Posts
I went to Lowes and purchased some grey pipe insulating foam and cut it to fit over the parking brake lever leaving only the handle exposed. Now it won't radiate heat into the compartment so the dinky over worked ac will be able to do it's job easier. I also placed a thin sheet between the carpet and engine cover. And between the moon roof cover and glass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have Daihatsu mira es 2017 recently bought and noticed that parking brake plastic lever and nearest area getting normal heat. I can feel when touch it.
is it normal or any issue. please advise

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,394 Posts
Welcome to SCoA, Thana. I am slightly familiar with your car, but since they are not available in the USA, I can't be of much help. This forum is dedicated to the smart brand of car, and primarily only the 451 and 453 models as those were the only versions sold new here. I would suggest you Google Daihatsu discussion forums to find a site with information on your brand of car. Good luck, George.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts