Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning 7 degrees and my smart started perfectly. Drove fine, ect.
But..the windshield washer fluid (rated to 29 below) would not flow. Looked at it and it was like a slushy drink (in the reservoir)
Ok. Later during the balmy 23 degree high, it would. My question is:
Does 29 below really mean 29 below or does it mean ballpark?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Winter washer fluid up here is rated for -40 or colder. I run it all year round typically.

Is the winter fluid the only stuff in the reservoir? If it is mixed with some summer fluid that could explain the freezing up. Otherwise I would take it up with wherever you bought the fluid or the manufacturer, it should not freeze up that easily.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Not normal. I would siphon out all the remaining fluid and replace it with any good name brand Winter mix. Then flush out the front and real lines by washing both windscreens until the new fluid comes through.

Also, I would never never seasonally switch between fluid rated just for Summer as enough quantity may remain when you add the Winter mix that the above may occur.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
If it's not full you could add pure concentrated fluid to the reservoir and see if that helps. I'm guessing it's probably too dilute (for the weather) combined with extreme cold during the night...

-29 C or -29 F? (I just checked my Ford stuff and it says -29 C.)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to Advance Auto and bought their 49 below solution. I have a tube with the marble in the end-do you know what I mean that is good as a siphon. Siphoned out bout 1 1/2 quarts, then put in the 49 below solution. I think because the temps moderated today that the cheap stuff melted and the better stuff mixed in. Works fine now and even more no damage to the windshield washer pumps. Moral: Run the stuff that is the lowest temp. "Don't need it? Always warm here?" So I thought as well.
"SCHOOLED" :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
I now think all these are snake oil window washes. Here in MA it rarely gets below zero. So when they were predicting up to 20 below I did the standard radiator and washer check. My smart, the truck and my moms Yaris. ALL of us run Advance Auto -20F wash, I know, cause I do all the fluids, and all of us were low. Well -20 temps and -20 wash isn't going to cut it, so in Wally World I found, I think it was Prestone -35f wash so that was great. The three vehicles took almost 2 full gallons, so we were really low. I figure the net temp protected should have been -25 to -30 or so being mixed.

Well it actually ONLY got to minus 11 here and my smart wash froze! On the truck, one out of two nozzles froze and mom has a carport and blanketed her car and didnt freeze. I dont see any possible way things froze like that unless the wash is NOT -20 or -35 as plainly written on the jugs! Luckily as I say not too often here, but still it took 2 full days for my smartie to thaw. Pissed me right off, that -35 wash was $3.98 a gallon. Crap!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
just asking

I now think all these are snake oil window washes. Here in MA it rarely gets below zero. So when they were predicting up to 20 below I did the standard radiator and washer check. My smart, the truck and my moms Yaris. ALL of us run Advance Auto -20F wash, I know, cause I do all the fluids, and all of us were low. Well -20 temps and -20 wash isn't going to cut it, so in Wally World I found, I think it was Prestone -35f wash so that was great. The three vehicles took almost 2 full gallons, so we were really low. I figure the net temp protected should have been -25 to -30 or so being mixed.

Well it actually ONLY got to minus 11 here and my smart wash froze! On the truck, one out of two nozzles froze and mom has a carport and blanketed her car and didnt freeze. I dont see any possible way things froze like that unless the wash is NOT -20 or -35 as plainly written on the jugs! Luckily as I say not too often here, but still it took 2 full days for my smartie to thaw. Pissed me right off, that -35 wash was $3.98 a gallon. Crap!
Did you run the washers after you added the new fluid? You didn't mention and if you didn't it could have been the lines with the old stuff in the lines that froze.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Also, if it rains and then freezes (or you wash the car in winter), water can get into the outer bit of the nozzle and freeze up, and that's all it takes for it to not work! Haven't had it happen to this car, but I've had it happen to others.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Frozen washer Fluid...

Add half a bottle of gas line anti-freeze
(red bottle of Heet preferred)
To the washer tank
And a few drops of dishwashing soap ( Dawn)

If you have summer mix in or the fluid is frozen...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts