Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i just bought my 2009 smart from someone as we drove it from atlanta to Baltimore. The person said they had the oil changed so i wouldn’t need one. Well, when you turn on the car is say -303
What does that mean.? I’m kinda lost

·
Registered
153 Posts
They never reset the service reminder. You can do that yourself but it is tricky. There are some U-Tube videos showing the procedure. Just remember to hold the left cluster button down when you switch the key back on to position #1 and hold the cluster button down until it flashes and shows 10k miles. After that it is reset. It may take several attempts as timing is very important.

·
Registered
880 Posts
-303 days since the last day of expired maintenance interval, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They never reset the service reminder. You can do that yourself but it is tricky. There are some U-Tube videos showing the procedure. Just remember to hold the left cluster button down when you switch the key back on to position #1 and hold the cluster button down until it flashes and shows 10k miles. After that it is reset. It may take several attempts as timing is very important.
Thank you!! Should i get it changed anyway? What if they lied lol

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thank you!! Should i get it changed anyway? What if they lied lol
Unless the oil looks clean, I tend to change the oil after acquiring a used vehicle if for no other reason it allows me to know when to change it next. It's entirely possible they didn't do it, they may have remembered the last change or a variety of other reasons. For the most part I trust a written service record, but not much else. We're all falible when it comes to memory.

·
Super Moderator
1,532 Posts
Not unusual for someone to do the work and not reset the indicator, especially if they are getting rid of the car. Guess it comes down to whether you trust them of not. Looking at the condition of the oil on the dipstick might give you some indication, but that's questionable. Certainly you can tell if the oil looks disgustingly dirty, but if it looks sparkling clean, they may have told you the truth.

Len

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not unusual for someone to do the work and not reset the indicator, especially if they are getting rid of the car. Guess it comes down to whether you trust them of not. Looking at the condition of the oil on the dipstick might give you some indication, but that's questionable. Certainly you can tell if the oil looks disgustingly dirty, but if it looks sparkling clean, they may have told you the truth.

Len
Thank you! You’re right! Maybe i should check the dipstick! Thanks

·
Registered
880 Posts
Whenever I acquire a new to me ride, I will change the oil and filter the first few weeks myself, regardless. It's an inexpensive insurance ($30-$35) and a good way to get to know the newbie. Once, I found out the reason for a "hot oil leak" smell from my "new" 07 E350 Benz was that the gasket on the oil filter wasn't mounted properly during the oil change by the seller (at a muffler shop) just before his sale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts