Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After saying that Hambach would be producing a Mercedes EQ model, it appears Daimler has reversed course: “They abandon us …” Mercedes-Benz wants to sell its factory in Hambach :eek:

"The management of the site announced on Friday Daimler’s intention to sell the factory, which was to begin production of models of the German manufacturer in the fall, we have learned from the unions. “They sell the Smart site and therefore they are looking for a buyer. It is enormous. They abandon us, “said Jean-Luc Bielitz, CGT representative on the Moselle site, confirming information from the Lorraine Republican."

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
And it could be a chance for a company to buy a ready to go factory cheap.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 20,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 18,500 miles

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thought we always knew that in 2022 all Smarts will be built in the new Chinese factory, making a new shaped electric Fortwo, and the current shaped 453 EQ made in Europe finishes very shortly. Chinese labour will be far cheaper for the company, plus more automation requiring less manpower. That's the modern world for you, where unfortunately your job is very insecure.

I have no interest in an electric Smart anyway, and bought two of the last 453 gas (petrol) models (a coupe for the wife and a cabrio for me) before end of production in 2019. The new Chinese electric one in 2022 will be far too overpriced compared to a gas model, and likely still struggling for range. That's no good to me. I will likely move away from Smart for my next cars, and I have been a loyal Smart owner from 2003 till now.

Just wondering where spare parts will be made now for existing 453's as the company has an obligation to make parts for 10 years from the end of production of a car.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Isn’t the smartville, car visitors center in that facility? I always wanted to go there, way back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts