Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NA, just not into city cars here. The small Fiat 500, in Europe is the top selling city car.

That's right.
Fiat is killing their best selling model in the US, the 500.
Go figure...

Even though it is not a huge hit by any means*with only 5370 sold last year (from a high of 47 000 back in 2012), it was their best selling model.
It was even "slightly" more popular than the 500X SUV.

An all-new*500 is supposedly a few months away, at least in Europe. (The current one is over 12 years old!)
But the first version introduced will be electric. Competing, in Europe, with the new Honda E and VW ID3.
And it might not be sold in the US, at least for a while.
The next 500 is rumored to have hidden rear doors like the previous generation Mini Clubman.
A feature that could make it more popular...

But no prototype of the next 500 has been caught yet. So it might not be ready for production soon.

It is a weird move to cancel a car before its next generation is ready. Even weirder to cancel your best selling model.
(which means they are still selling the weirdo 500L in the US.)

I have to mention that the 500 sold in the US is assembled in Mexico, not Europe.
Which could have something to do with the canceling of that model in the US.
Maybe the Mexican*factory is scheduled to build another more profitable model?

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I think they've been made in Poland for quite some time - I believe the Mexican factory is not building them for the USA.

Bummer for small car lovers.

·
17,351 Posts
You sometimes have to wonder how they make their top-level decisions... :shrug:
Like our beloved smarts, the Fiat 500 started off with strong sales that almost immediately entered into a fall. I take it the car was no longer profitable for the brand even though it was the best seller. FCA rakes in the cash with their RAM trucks, Jeeps, and by dropping more and more power into aging Dodge platforms.

The bigger question to me is why did the 500L manage to dodge the chopping block? Surely if the 500 couldn't sell enough to justify its existence, the 500L is in the same boat?

According to most sources, the next 500 will be an EV with four doors...so the 500 has ended up with a similar fate as smart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just back from Europe and i saw lots of smarts and also smart for four (which i think it defeats the purpose) and lots of different model fiats. I wonder is the smart still going to be in production but not available in the US?

·
17,351 Posts
Just back from Europe and i saw lots of smarts and also smart for four (which i think it defeats the purpose) and lots of different model fiats. I wonder is the smart still going to be in production but not available in the US?
Correct, smart will still be in production, but not coming to North America. Come the 2020, all new smarts in the world will be electric. By 2022, the half of smart that's now owned by Geely will have a successor for the 453 that will be produced in China. It's unknown whether that car will grace our shores, but it is known that said car will be EV.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,226 Posts
There are some photos of the new facelifted 453 on Instagram. It now has a larger grille, no lower vent in the valance and smart block letters on the front service flap. The tail lights are slightly different, but it is still clearly a 453.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hopefully Honda or another reliable car company comes out with a half car size for the US that we could get our hands on in the near future

·
Registered
32 Posts
People in the USA can be silly sometimes. The economy goes south, gas prices spike up, they spend 20K on a car to save a few dollars on gas. The economy does better, gas prices go down, then they buy a big SUV or pickup truck that gets 10-15 MPG. Unless gas prices go over $5 a gallon in the USA micro cars aren't going to get much attention.

·
17,351 Posts
I'm not sure small cars will see a huge boom during the next economic downturn. The game has changed since then. Small crossovers get close to the kind of fuel economy a compact gets (I mean, they basically are lifted compacts) and even the SUV-sized crossovers get sedan fuel economy. Even some trucks and sportscars can break 30 mpg when you baby them.

I predict the next time we enter a downturn we'll see less people plopping down $70k for a King Ranch F-150, but those buyers aren't going to end up driving compacts like in 2008, they'll probably just buy any of the silly increasing amount of crossovers out there. The thing I'm most curious about is with auto loans. Banks have been hiding the fact that new car prices are raising faster than wages behind ballooning loan terms. The average auto loan in 2018 was 72 months (6 years) with some terms getting all the way up to 120 months (10 years)!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I predict that in the future Americans will buy big SUV's with the deluxe extra-high-power AC for those typical 120F summer days in Wisconsin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts