2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I break down the costs minus insurance and I get:\
15000 the car
297.81 monthly payment
1121/yr gas cost savings
But still costs
` 205/month.
The payback at 5 years covers the interest on the car loan.
I like the car and its mileage but its current MPG and/or cost and/or tax credit(?) do not provide enough incentive to buy.

Anyone else looked at the numbers?

·
Registered
106 Posts
No. If you're comparing the Smart to walking, it is cheaper to walk or stay home. Or you could buy a used Yugo, not as much fun, but costs less in the long run. There is no federal tax credit for the Smart in the US.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
For almost any new car you get those numbers.....and much much worse! Not a car around pays you back after five years....you own it, and its worth about half (if you're lucky) of what you paid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well hopefully it sells by popularity then like the Bug, PT Cruiser, etc.
If the mpg doubles and/or the price comes down through volume sales maybe it will be worth considering. We have no trains or mass transit so it's cars to commute.
Thanks

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Well hopefully it sells by popularity then like the Bug, PT Cruiser, etc.
If the mpg doubles and/or the price comes down through volume sales maybe it will be worth considering. We have no trains or mass transit so it's cars to commute.
Thanks
Don't go by the numbers alone. Factor in some *gut feelings* to round out the overall decision to buy it. Cool factor counts for something in my book. You have to live life once in awhile and just do it.......:D

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
How about around $12k for my Pure. By the time I get it next year I can pay cash for it. No car payment. Only gas and insurance. Gotta love it!! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts