Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,149 Posts
We certainly should - however, it doesn't look like there will be anywhere near that level of attendance. Of course, the Miata has been on sale in the US since the early 1990s, as compared to smart's relatively short 5 year sale run so far - those owners have had a lot longer to get this sort of thing off the ground. :)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I meant "WHY don't we try to set a record for the most smarts at one place in USA?"

I don't think it's ever been documented before, so even if we only have fifty it will be a record?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Unfortunately the first Nationals is still going to hold the record, we are not anywhere near having that many cars show up for the 2013 Nationals. Europe has a much better attendance due to the smart being a fixture of Europe for many years, and being much better appreciated as well. Until the smart has a better following, we'll never catch up with any kind of attendance record that Europe has, unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
212 I think - the largest so far. :)

And unfortunately, I don't think it's going to get any better. The first IMS get together in Indy had 126 cars. It was down to what, 35 this year? There was a lot of hype and excitement by us early adopters the first couple of years, and a lot of that has faded. Some of the newer folks have a lot of passion for the brand, but with a 5 year old car, the excitement is running thin.:( I don't see near as many folks with the excitement I still have for the brand. I even find myself doing other things besides smart. I've been spending most of my free time working on my truck I've had since High School. That has taken most of my interest over the last few months. Things & people change. Hopefully the 453 brings back some of the fire we saw in 2008.

I'm hoping the Nationals this year are a success, but it sounds like attendance is really down. I would have loved to have gone, but it just wasn't meant to be for me. I wish the organizers all the success possible. I hope everybody has a great time.:)

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,862 Posts
When the brand doesn't care, "enthusiasts" move on.

After 5+ years of being an "evangelist" for the smart brand only to be treated poorly by the dealer who gladly took my money in 2008, NOTHING happening at our smart center except the sound of crickets chirping . . .

·
Registered
309 Posts
I see some of the lack of interest coming from the dealer, but at the same time there seemed (seems) to be somewhat disinterest coming from corporate smart. Mostly this seems to have occurred since the integration of sUSA and MBCA. A common perception is that the smart is the bastard step child of MB. With that attitude, what else can be expected? I get the impression that smart is being sold in the U.S. with the sole intention of keeping the CAFE numbers down, rather than selling as a true asset. Now, with the change in management at the top of sUSA I'm being optimistic that this may change. Recently I have seen much more advertising for smart on TV. Granted, not on the major networks, but at least on major cable networks like TNT and during prime time. So, I'm going to continue and be optimistic about the future of smart, and hope that things change in perception. Since the introduction of Car2Go in Denver, I'm hoping that may change the local perception at least!

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,862 Posts
I get the impression that smart is being sold in the U.S. with the sole intention of keeping the CAFE numbers down, rather than selling as a true asset. Now, with the change in management at the top of sUSA I'm being optimistic that this may change.

So, I'm going to continue and be optimistic about the future of smart, and hope that things change in perception.
While that is your impression as a smart owner/enthusiast what is the impression of a potential smart buyer who is surrounded by a world of (smart) naysayers and many other transportation choices?

Nice that your smart glass remains half-full. Over the last month I have been in personal contact with the "new management at the top," nothing happening there . . . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
309 Posts
While that is your impression as a smart owner/enthusiast what is the impression of a potential smart buyer who is surrounded by a world of (smart) naysayers and many other transportation choices?
I wouldn't say that there is a "world" of naysayers, there is just a world of misinformation that seems to increase. Why people go for other transportation choices? I couldn't say, there are many reasons. My main beef with smart lies with the lack of marketing. They are willing to spend big $$$ for MB commercials, yet spending on smart commercials is around $.01. I understand the economics considering the income generated on one MB car way above any income generated by the smart car. Still, you look at the Fiat which is really the same class of car, owned by another large automaker, most likely has the same low profit margin, yet has huge bold commercials. Those commercials seem to me really sell the car, compared to what smart has. Of course, I could be way off base. I would love to hear how the numbers actually relate, that is sales/commercials. If we want the car to succeed in the U.S., its going to take the existing owners to change the perception. How that is going to occur? How about the Nationals? Well, that is a bad choice considering the turnout. So, another source? I'll leave it to the individual reader to figure that part out...:(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts