Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are moving to another house, so I would like to eliminate my cable programming, yet still keep a good internet connection. The problem is that the companies raise the rates considerably when this is done. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, yet that's not possible in my area and Netflix would not work anyway.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Isn't that upload speed? Aren't we looking for download speed?
Thanks though.

You should have a "Consistent Performance" rating of at least 1.25 for Netflix

~As seen from the bottom of that page~
These ratings reflect the average performance of all Netflix streams on each ISPs network from Nov. 2012 through Sept. 2013 and average performance during prime time starting in Oct. 2013. The average is well below the peak performance due to many factors including the variety of encodes we use to deliver the TV shows and movies we carry as well as home Wi-Fi and the variety of devices our members use. Those factors cancel out when comparing across ISPs, so these relative rankings are a good indicator of the consistent performance typically experienced across all users on an ISP network. - See more at: USA ISP Speed Index Results| Netflix ISP Speed Index

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Went through this entire exercise last year, dropped cable, used DSL for Netflix, Hulu+, etc. Finally gave it up. In the end, although I absolutely hate Time Warner, they had the best performance plus price package for TV and the Internet. Netflix HD and Amazon HD work great, plus I get to watch all the cable programming that it turned out I really missed. YMMV. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
You probably should not of ask for any comments.... ;) I love my Wi-Fi and Internet. I started my Wi-Fi and Internet quest off when I wanted to put out a trail cam in the woods running off of solar power so I could watch it from the house... so the story begins...

My two cents.... Have used ROKU, ChromeCast, and Sony DVD, Blue Ray Streaming device. All work well with different features, I have Century Link DSL at 10 Down and 1.5 Up. All the products work well with Netflix, HULU and other programming. I also use a Wi-Fi Streaming Device or what might be called a WHDMI.. or wireless HDMI box to send programming to my shop, this alleviates the cost for another Dish Network box in my case.

So, which one do I like... I would say ChromeCast meets my needs because I can CAST ESPN, HBO, and many other programs to a HD TV.

I'm a pretty frugal person.. or maybe a real penny pincher so ... We have the Netflix $11.00 dollar for four connections at a time shared.... Also, we share the DISH bill... relatives live in and around me making that possible... also... I have a WIFI farm and send my signal with repeaters over a large area! So daughter, and others can receive Wi-Fi at their location.

I haven't run into anyone sucking down all the bandwidth yet... I also, run 4 continuous Wi-Fi surveillance cameras across the farm using the same equipment.

I guess in a nutshell CenturyLink 10 down on DSL can go a long way... and it is SO SO SO much better than the HughesNet Sat I had before. Oh... did I say that I can watch my surveillance cameras from anywhere 3G or Wi-Fi..

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all so far.

Keep em coming, for I enjoy all the experiences you have had.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
You probably should not of ask for any comments.... ;) I love my Wi-Fi and Internet. I started my Wi-Fi and Internet quest off when I wanted to put out a trail cam in the woods running off of solar power so I could watch it from the house... so the story begins...

My two cents.... Have used ROKU, ChromeCast, and Sony DVD, Blue Ray Streaming device. All work well with different features, I have Century Link DSL at 10 Down and 1.5 Up. All the products work well with Netflix, HULU and other programming. I also use a Wi-Fi Streaming Device or what might be called a WHDMI.. or wireless HDMI box to send programming to my shop, this alleviates the cost for another Dish Network box in my case.

So, which one do I like... I would say ChromeCast meets my needs because I can CAST ESPN, HBO, and many other programs to a HD TV.

I'm a pretty frugal person.. or maybe a real penny pincher so ... We have the Netflix $11.00 dollar for four connections at a time shared.... Also, we share the DISH bill... relatives live in and around me making that possible... also... I have a WIFI farm and send my signal with repeaters over a large area! So daughter, and others can receive Wi-Fi at their location.

I haven't run into anyone sucking down all the bandwidth yet... I also, run 4 continuous Wi-Fi surveillance cameras across the farm using the same equipment.

I guess in a nutshell CenturyLink 10 down on DSL can go a long way... and it is SO SO SO much better than the HughesNet Sat I had before. Oh... did I say that I can watch my surveillance cameras from anywhere 3G or Wi-Fi..
I'll second Chromecast as a streaming device, it does work well and you can't beat the price.

All satellite internet providers (HughesNet, etc.) are the choice of last resort. Unfortunately, there are a lot of us where that is the only choice and it's not cheap. There is no incentive for phone and cable companies to build out their network. They just focus on offering more expensive bundles or faster speeds to their existing customers for the most part, at least in my area. No one wants to invest in new infrastructure that may take a few years to pay off - the CEO needs his performance bonus in the next quarter! :rolleyes:

Having said all that, I have Exede satellite internet and I'm pretty happy with it for what it is. Much better service than the previous HughesNet and good speed (rated at 12M down/3M up and I routinely get better), but high latency and capped bandwidth like any satellite connection.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Got one of the first Chromecast devices - good for what it is but most of the services require a fee and are usually very late in getting current content. We have a Sony DVD player we use to get Amazon video in HD, as our Tivo boxes will not stream Amazon in HD for some reason (much finger pointing when both companies were asked why not...) So, we're back to a single cable bill for TV and Internet. :)

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Thank you, yet that's not possible in my area and Netflix would not work anyway.
I watch Netflix with DSL. I bought a Chromecast device but it didn't work with my Chromebook. My daughter has it now and it works great with her Ipad.

A DSL connection Amazon prime account and Netflix plus what I can get off the air gets me enough Hi Definition entertainment. I would love a faster connection but will probably be dead before I see the Fiber optic stuff reach out the few more miles to where I live.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have had hughesnet, but have switched to Verizon 4g at my house, blows hughes net out of the water. Went with a company called Millenicom. They are a VZW reseller, I pay $70 for 20GB of 4g speed. I know its pricy, but beats satellite internet, I can play WOW, COD, Chromecast, android PC via HDMI. I usually get 3-8 down and a constant 2 up. So Im happy, just wish I could have more than 20gigs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts