Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the little car we bought for my wife last week. It will receive some nice modifications to sporten it up a bit.

We ordered Team Dynamics Smartie wheels in matte grey anthracite through Discount Tire.

They look similar to these wheels that madness sells except in a gray color.

Here is our car as it is currently.

i removed the front nose as the bumper on the right side had a big dent in it. I bought a new white one from the Mercedes dealer for $143 along with a new spoiler as the original was scraped up on one side.

While the nose was off, I ran wiring from daytime LED driving lights for the new aftermarket Brabus look alikes from SmartMadness. They will be connected to the ignition powered circuit.

I also bought a bully bar from eBay for $105 and installed it today. I fabricated a couple more supports as I didn't feel comfortable with the two mounting bolts (one on each side attached to sheetmetal) would do.

And finally, the big ticket item was installing a new Pioneer apple car play GPS head unit. I had to run the GPS wiring, usb wiring and microphone. While at it, I installed LED ambient lighting under the dash that turn on with the parking lights. The interior has a soft hue of amber. It truly looks amazing. I did install a Kicker powered subwoofer behind the driver seat for a little added kick. The audio system sounds phenomenal for a small car. I love good music reproduction.

That's it for now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very clean job, I like the bully bar also.

Any Chance you would sell me those stock rims when you take them off? Im in need of 4 plain jane 451 steelies.

·
Registered
49 Posts
MesaAZguy,

You do great work! And I love that garage, uh barn? That is to die for! Can I come hunt Dove on your property? I'll by lunch! Enjoy that smart car as I love the white. I just purchased a Silver Brabus edition but I wanted qa white one! Sigh! It only had 2000 miles on it and it was the Smart Car test car for customers. It was half price @ $10,991 and had the full warranty and it such a such a good deal so the white went out the window!

Again, well done on the repairs. You really are good with the DIY stuff. Did I ask if I could come hunt Dove on your property?

Happy 4th of July and I hope your wife enjoys that new ride! Do you enjoy driving it too? Or are you more the tractor type?

Well done Sir! It looks great!

Hartmn

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very clean job, I like the bully bar also.

Any Chance you would sell me those stock rims when you take them off? Im in need of 4 plain jane 451 steelies.

I may keep them in case a future owner may want them. Haven't decided on that just yet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MesaAZguy,

You do great work! And I love that garage, uh barn? That is to die for! Can I come hunt Dove on your property? I'll by lunch! Enjoy that smart car as I love the white. I just purchased a Silver Brabus edition but I wanted qa white one! Sigh! It only had 2000 miles on it and it was the Smart Car test car for customers. It was half price @ $10,991 and had the full warranty and it such a such a good deal so the white went out the window!

Again, well done on the repairs. You really are good with the DIY stuff. Did I ask if I could come hunt Dove on your property?

Happy 4th of July and I hope your wife enjoys that new ride! Do you enjoy driving it too? Or are you more the tractor type?

Well done Sir! It looks great!

Hartmn

Thank you for the kind words!
I am a NYC transplant who loves tractors and tearing the ass outta things with it!

Regarding the car, I enjoy driving it. That said, we are coming out of a VW Golf Diesel so I may end up turbocharging this little car for a little oomph. Also, there's something about the sound of an engine at the back of a car. Love love, love it. It sounds like you got a screaming deal on your car. They wanted 6k for ours with 27k miles. I talked them down [Used car dealer] to 5300 due to the dent and we had cash which helped. We looked at several used Smarts and most were just thrashed in their lives. That said, even ours was a Car2Go unit as were the others we looked at. The local MB dealer said it was very well maintained and all services done ontime. We are awaiting a new second key to arrive from the dealer. (All $370 worth :shrug:)

My garage? Well, it looked better at one point. Now its just stuffed with crap as we continue renovating the house. The garage is a new addition to the house since last year.

And my other little toy. Its a 1982 Yanmar grey market import I restored.

·
Registered
49 Posts
MesaAZguy,

That garage is amazing!!! The tractor is the bomb! Can we be best friends! OMG that garage is so amizing! Mine is a two car but it is carpeted with garage carpet from Home Depot and cabinets from closet world but it doesn't even come near the level of your garage! I would never leave. It's where you would find me all the time. I'm sure it's the same for you.

I just got home from work (LAX) and I love the rear engine car sound. I drove out to the dealer by myself and didn't tell my wife I was purchasing it. She was pissed for a while but she got over it. She likes it now. You know that saying it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask permission has some truth to it.

How many square feet is the that man cave anyway? You rock!

Can I be your neighbor? Thanks for sharing the pictures. AMAZING!!!

Hartmn

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments!
The garage is 1088sq ft. Certainly one that I could not get if we stayed in NYC. This is our third house in AZ after moving here 15 years ago. This house is also not our typical new house purchase. We wanted an older place that we could gut and build to our "Park Ave" status. We also wanted some land and although 1.1acres is ok, I really wanted more. The price was right and the termites are finally getting the hint and moving out. I once dubbed the house the "Termite Terrace"
There is still a ton of work to do. We had a huge concrete diving pool which was close to the back of the house. We had it removed completely a few weeks ago along with a crappy patio cover and attached storage shed. My wife wants a HUGE dining/conference room with 10' sliding doors. The prints are submitted to the county and I await approval. As usual, the house is a money pit, but at least its the way we like it. My wife is usually approving of everything I do but then again, I don't do anything without running it by her first. Don't get me wrong, we are just getting by but we do support each others dreams. I restored a 1970 TR6 which I sold after 8 years to build the garage and renovate some of the house. I do not regret selling the car as it fulfilled the desire of building it and owning it.

Here I am with my happy wife at our previous home. Always there when I needed a hand :)

At a car show in San Rafael two years ago:

The supercharged engine. This bad boy cost me $$$$ in several failures and rebuilds. Finally got it right and enjoyed the brutal power for three years before deciding to sell it for the house renovations.

My old garage. Sold the bike and lift before moving as the new/old house garage has 9' ceilings instead of the 10'. We couldn't go any higher as the house has 8' ceilings and didn't want the garage to look out of place.

Here is the current house and backyard demolition to make way for newness. We are working on the place slowly as funds allow.

We bought the house from the original owners who have since passed away. It was very dated to the mid 70's. We gutted it and modernized it a bit. Arizona new home builders tend to create a more "tuscan" style house but we wanted something that reminded us of clean modern architecture. I wired up iPads to control some lighting, the audio system (including the garage ;) )
surveillance system and music streaming. I am an electrical contractor by trade so if it had wires, I was on it!
We expanded the kitchen by 3' which really was an immense improvement in usability. Lucky for us, the expansion was already under roof so no need to redo the roofline. For some reason, the kitchen bottlenecked under the roofline and thus created a small patio space front and rear which we utilized for interior space.

The front of house is still in need of landscape work and concrete $$$$$

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I installed a scangauge II along with a dash cam.

Car has not had any holes drilled into it. Dash cam turns on with ignition key and shuts off after 30 seconds of shutting off car.

I also added a Ram mount for our iPhones.

·
Registered
49 Posts
MesaAZguy,

Where did you purchase the dash cam? May I ask how much they are going for? Is it difficult to install?

Hartmn

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the dash cam at Costco. This is my second one as the first is installed in a work van. The first I paid $70 during their special. A year later, I buy this one for the Smart at $100. Its a Cobra unit. I'm not a fan of anything Cobra electronics, however this little bugger has survived being in a 140º hot van during the summer over the course of a year. Best Buy has other brands but none as compact as this unit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts