Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Love that plane. I used to fly ultralights and powered parachutes. The parachute was the wing or lifting body. You could still kill yourself in one though. Parachuting into an oak tree at 26mph is still a bug on the windshield situation.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Funny how your personal experience dictates your thoughts. :wink: You guys immediately though of the yard tractor, but since I grew up around aviation, I immediately thought of the Piper Cub.:D

I even have an R/C model of it I fly occassionally. It's a sweet little plane best reserved for calm days...

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
While the Cub is a great plane I prefer the good olde recoup. Our flight club had one during the 60's and wish I had had the $$ then to purchase it when the club decided to move on. Oh well

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The J-3 Cub (first post) is still flying in the Chicago area . It is a 1945, 65 HP,restored by the EAA and give away at the Oshkosh fly in, back in the day.

We flew it back from Stevens Point Wisconsin ,across the UP of Michigan to a farm field near Ann Arbor. No radios, so we had to fly North to duck around the O'Hara radar (TCA). Trip took two days as we lost a Mag.

Sold the Cub about 2 years later and bought a faster ship, a 1946 Luscomb.

Same 65 Hp engine, but while the Cub would fly at 65-70 mph the Luscomb would fly at 95 to a 100 mph at the same fuel consumption ( ~6 Gal per hour).

Flying is the 2nd greatest feeling a person can have. Some say it's first. LOL

·
Registered
465 Posts
Very nice. My wife's old boss had a Mooney. Sweet little plane we went up in that a few times.
My brother flew and his son still does. I like planes but must have gotten the water gene instead. I'm more into small simple boats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts