Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1760 lbs. I decided to toss it on the scale at work the other day to see how much it weighs since we just had it calibrated last week.

When I say operating weight I mean ALL fluids topped off and I have maybe 5 pounds worth of accessories like first aid kit, roadside emergency kit etc. The weight I give DOES NOT include me - that would make it a bit more as I'm not a twig. :eek:

This may be useful to someone sometime in the future for whatever reason as it is a real world figure. :cool: Towing comes to mind.....driving it on your golf course.....the reasons why you'd possibly need the weight are endless - OK, maybe they are.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Your results may vary

mine came in at 1848 wet (full tank of fuel all fluids topped up)
passion coupe with every option sans fog lights
karl
Longacre pad scales

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bum-bling-B, how did you option your passion?
Only option is Gauge Pods - Red Paint - Silver Tridion

Didn't use my pad scales as they have not been recently calibrated. Used my in-floor scale - single unit - doesn't break it down per axle. Monday I'm going to stick it on the scales again and get axle weights and compute the C/B (Center of Balance), that way I could get a good weight ratio of the car. I'll probably do it for me out of the car AND in the car.

The formula for achieving Center of Balance is:

(W1xD1)+(W2xD2)
Gross Vehicle Weight

Key:
W1 = Front Axle Weight
W2 = Rear Axle Weight
D1 = The distance from the forward most point of the car to the center of the front axle
D2 =
The distance from the forward most point of the car to the center of the rear axle

I'm curious to see where the C/B of this little thing comes out. I tend to do it on all my cars because I'm geeky that way. :D

Karl - Wow, that is a pretty good difference. Those options must really add up. My pad scales always get knocked out of calibration due to improper transport which is why I don't use them unless I have to. Delicate instrument that weigh 50lbs each, people tend to knock them around. :(

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
my total could be off

The scales I used are a track set that sat on the shop floor and could be off on the total a bit we did level and zero would bet the relationships are good.
LF 390 RF 404
LR 529 RR 525

1848 lbs. wet without driver, I can see an 88 lbs difference with all the options. There have to be others that have access to scales...:D
you can clearly see how she carries her weight
karl

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a few more months (as little as 3) and I'll have a loaded Passion to weigh so hopefully no one does anything to mess up the calibration on my set. Last time I was getting a 100 pound discrepancy for every 800 pounds. Turned out to be a bolt someone dropped down into the floor scale. My set does go in 5 pound increments so it could be around 2.5 pounds off.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It would be interesting to find out what A/C does to a pure, power stearing and leather to a passion. For cabriolets not sure there are any heavy options since they come pretty loaded up.
Still would be nice to have the breakdown of weights for all models for us geeks sake.
pure with nothing should be the hot rod smart.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DOH! My bumblebee Passion that is on order won't have PS or Leather. I don't think the leather would be enough difference to even show on my scales but the PS would be interesting.

A Pure should be the Hot Rod Smart - actually they could have a race model in the US and it would be...drum roll please....the Smart R (Smarter).:D

It would be interesting to find out what A/C does to a pure, power stearing and leather to a passion. For cabriolets not sure there are any heavy options since they come pretty loaded up.
Still would be nice to have the breakdown of weights for all models for us geeks sake.
pure with nothing should be the hot rod smart.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Heavy load

Just for a reference... I can attest to a fully loaded Passion (comfort, PS, Sound system, etc) doing fine with higher than rated load, at least short term. I drove 10 miles round trip with almost 650 pounds of passenger load, returning to base with another 20 pounds of groceries. I never felt like the Smart had any trouble. Neither did the SUVs we overtook on the starting line. Suspension was normal, over bumps and those small hill-bumps that launch a larger car into orbit. Engine never groaned or lugged as I've seen in another ultralight car.

I don't know what it would do over 1,000 miles, but 10 was fine.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Center Of Balance Done!!!

Well, I've done it.:D I finally did a Center of Balance. Now last time I weighed my car it chimed in at 80 pounds less! This time the gross weight is 1840. Now my front axle weight was 760 and the rear axle weight was 1080.

After I did the math the C/B was 58 inches. For those who need the center of balance for whatever reason, putting a Smart on a trailer etc. 58 inches is just a hair behind the end of the grab handle/door pull in the interior.

Disclaimer: Your center of balance calculations may vary, but I bet they're pretty close to this one.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Interesting old thread.

Front axle weight = 760 lbs.
Rear axle weight = 1080 pounds

This is without the driver! Or passenger. Or anything in the rear storage. Without any of this, the ratio is 41:59.

Since the center of balance is just behind the interior door handle, that means most of the weight of the driver + passenger + anything in the rear storage would be toward the rear of the center of balance, throwing the weight ratio evern further to the rear.

With only the driver, the ratio of front to rear is less than 40:60. In fact with 2 passengers & enough extra weight to appraoch the 500 pound capacity, the ratio would be less than 35:65. No wonder they put larger tires on the rear than on the front.

I wonder what the implications of this weight distribution are for using different tire sizes than are spec'd.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cabrio Weight

I weighed my Cabrio as it rides IN the back of our 5th Wheel while we travel.
2009 Cabrio all fluids topped off, no passengers.
1880 lbs on certified CAT Scale.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It actually DOES come in handy knowing the weight over here in Ole Miss. "Hey there Bubba, how much that thang weigh? Shore is a Key-ute l'il sucker!" So, yeah, now I can tell 'em.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts