Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
OK, so who's the experts though? Over the last 5 years I've had many a heated discussion with one of the individuals mentioned in the article about certain techniques applied in certain areas (geographic locations). You also need to have tip top reflexes and don't do stupid things like draft right up on someones bumper like the SUVs do our smarts.

Hypermiling isn't for everyone. My bit of advice, drive easy and just do the speedlimit - not much more if you have to speed. Do that and you'll get plenty over the EPA ratings of our little cars. Everyone here already knows that though.:p

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that's kinda the point of the article, and it does cover the pros and cons (such as drafting and driving way under the speed limit.) :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
On another thread here, someone posted (boasted, actually) that they were saving gas by, among other things, coasting through stop signs. I find this sort of behavior truly reprehensible, believing that your $.50 is worth more than the life and safety of others.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
the hypermiling hysteria is over the top.
real activists and advocates can be selfish in their behavior, endangering others in their quest for .5 more MPG.
the news media does more harm than good with these types of articles IMHO.
i'd like to take the driver's license away from most of the hyper-milers i see on the roadway. :)

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
In my neck of the woods, 2 lane roads with a 60mph speed limit the norm is 70mph. I just keep wondering why do they have these speed limit signs? What a waste of metal and paint.

That being said, I do see more people doing darn close to the speed limit - quite a few have slowed down. I'm more about hypermiling via little mods to the car here and there. No running stop signs, no riding ANY cars rear end - I keep a very safe distance but that's just me. If there is no one behind be, I'll coast down hills and to stops. At stop lights I am familiar with and know I'll be sitting for longer than a minute - I shut down the engine keeping an eye on the reflection of the opposite light for when it is about to change.

This article seemed more negative for hypermilers than positive IMO.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I like to read the hypermiling tips. I can't do what they do. I'd get run over or shot at here in the DFW area. But I have tried to slow down some and time traffic lights better.

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
I don't get this:

"You can see a big difference, for example, by turning off your air conditioning, while making sure to keep your windows closed to reduce drag. By rolling your windows down, “you’re creating an open hole on the side of the car, and the air flow will just accumulate in the vehicle,” said Steve Gehrlein, owner of Cambridge Automotive and host of a popular car-repair radio show in San Antonio, Texas."

so are they saying that an open window negates any savings you might get by turning the AC off?:confused:

I can pretty much handle no AC with window down, but if it's the same or even worse to have the window down, I'll go back to AC.

Suze

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depends on the speed; around town, open the windows. At highway speeds, close the windows for less drag. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Good Grief.... Hypermiling.... urgh.... just drive the car people and be sensible......

That extra 10 cents you save per gallon worth of mileage is not going to improve your retirement portfolio..... find some other means.....

In NJ you will likely get in to or cause an accident driving like a noodle trying to save a penny.....

If you need to save money that badly get a moped or a bicycle....

Hmmmmm...... do you control what you eat to such a degree to save money on food and reduce trips to the pisser :)

Wanna save money - stop buying coffee on the way to work; make it at home; if you need to buy it go to McD's or 7-11 instead of Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts

Don't buy a cd for one song.....

Don't spend a s*** load on a car stereo and dvd players and crap.....

Don't spend $2000 on pointless rims - all wheels go round the same and look the same at anything above 25 mph anyway.....

Cancel Cable/Satelite.....

Drink tap water instead of bottled water......

Don't drive 3 miles to a store and such... try walking, God blessed you with legs (sorry to those who may not have any :( )

Point is thousands of econmising can be done without foolish driving

Sorry for the negativity.... I must need a Starbucks, guess I could drive to the one 2 miles from my work :)

Cheers

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good Grief.... Hypermiling.... urgh.... just drive the car people and be sensible......

Sorry for the negativity.... I must need a Starbucks, guess I could drive to the one 2 miles from my work :)

Cheers
That does seem extreme, knowing that there is probably a Starbucks in the building where you work, or at least on the same block. (Though they are closing about 600 of their "overlappers")

·
Registered
422 Posts
That does seem extreme, knowing that there is probably a Starbucks in the building where you work, or at least on the same block. (Though they are closing about 600 of their "overlappers")
Now those who must have a cup of the over priced, somewhat burned tasting cup of jo may have to cross the street.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Here's an article about a man (Wayne Gerdes of CleanMPG.com) who supposedly champions "Hypermiling". The man only talked about taking it easy, try not to break/stop when possible. Nothing said about drafting, high tire inflation or taking off your shoes. :D He and a news guy drove from Chicago to NYC, each in a Prius. Mr. Gerdes got 72 mpg give or take....the newsguy got like 40. Check it--> Double Your Gas Mileage By "Hypermiling"
Pretty interesting.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Richard, to get optimal mileage with a cabrio you should put the top up, and use Bondo to smooth all body seams, including the doors & windows!! Maybe another thread is needed to see how LOW someone can get mileage on a tank? I can only imagine!

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Here's an article about a man (Wayne Gerdes of CleanMPG.com) who supposedly champions "Hypermiling". The man only talked about taking it easy, try not to break/stop when possible. Nothing said about drafting, high tire inflation or taking off your shoes. :D He and a news guy drove from Chicago to NYC, each in a Prius. Mr. Gerdes got 72 mpg give or take....the newsguy got like 40. Check it--> Double Your Gas Mileage By "Hypermiling"
Pretty interesting.

Here is the exact point other threads on this issue have brought up, hypermiling only truely works if you are driving a HYBRID. Me personally, I changed my route to work to avoid 75mph on the freeway, and I gained 2-3 mpg average each tank. Since then, I have also installed a K&N air filter, and plan to eventually install either a DTH or Works exhaust system to help even more. The key to good mileage with our smarties is Don't drive like an idiot.

Also remember this rule:
Gas mileage is inversely proportional to the pressure applied by your right foot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts