Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The TWCOM 2014 Passion Harlem Edition, Black paneled, Black T-Cell, Black Interior is a Poor Mans Car, and therefore is governed by the Path Of Least Expensive doctrine. "I know what I want, I know what it may cost, I'll get as close as possible, whenever possible, for the least possible cost, as the plight of the Poor Mans dollar dictates... Patience Over Desire."

So lets review my Path to date.

Purchased price $3999.00 (nescesary evils tax, tags, reg, insp, not included)

Initial repairs Hood, Right Fender pannel and RT side Mirror $500.00

Front Brakes and Rotors $300.00 (overpaid but was in and out in 35 mins Mavis tire center)

Wheels and Tires $600.00 (still have originals with $70,00 set of 195/60's)

Chrome Accents $100.00

Rear Fender wheel arch flare $12.00

Smart Round rear bumper guard protectors $11.00

Vinyl Lettering and graphics $30.00

Rear hatch window handle $5.00

Cigarette lighter USB charging plug $5.00

Rear Cargo Retractable cover $65.00

One Local Mechanic oil change $20.00 ( my M1 oil my M1 filter $37.00)

One MB dealer Service at 25k miles $420.00 ( 30 mile service and axles replaced under warranty)

Scan Gauge 2 $105.00 (Autozone Sale)

Three pod dash mounted accent, Compass, Cabin Temp, Clock $15.00

Chrome tail pipe extension $5.00

Chrome Frame Rail Tube Caps $7.00

Current total ....... $6,306.00...... Poor Mans Dollars

The Harlem Edition 451 1.0 of TWCOM

·
17,479 Posts
I love it!!! Those are some neat hacks you have going on there and I can give nothing but applause! The Harlem Edition looks great!

If I may offer any advice, I would spend a little more on the front LEDs. Cheap ones will not last long and will keep on dying over and over and over and over again. A decent pair costs a little more, but will last almost indefinitely longer.

In fact, the same logic applies to any tech/electrical gear. The cheapest computer you can build brand new will be worse than a used computer with a graphics card tossed in. Interestingly, the cheapest computer you can build new will also be worse than a pre-built computer that is only slightly more expensive. Similarly, the cheapest electrical goods will burn themselves out...At worse, they will burn out your car.

Those 6" rally lights I bought for all of $20? They had terrible output. However, it's not like that mattered as both bulbs blew within a few days of use. Then when winter rolled around they rusted out faster than an old Mazda. Blegh.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no DLR, Fog or Driving lights yet. I have reflectors magnetically held in place and crystals in the area of the DLRs. I am working on the front coming at you look.

This is what I intend to do. Place a set of driving lights this size in this location.
I am afraid it will add to the to tall narrow look of the front view.

I don't like this location at all.

I like this a lot, widens the stance but I like my crystals where they are.

I want them toggled as driving lights.
I will find a way to get the Brabus Headlights in a PMD manner.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a couple of bucks worth of matte black spray paint, you could paint your brake drums and rotor hats. It would give a nice finished look, in my opinion.
Intention is that the Spring, after the Salt Spreaders are stowed away, I will paint them with a glitter paint. Sparkles from the sun either Black or Grey based paint. I can't wait for the warm days to really be able to spend time on this car. I got it in September of 2017 and have just been able to do things in the cold weather. By time I bring it to the Watkins Glenn event it should be really nice.

·
17,479 Posts
Ah, didn’t notice those were crystals! Neat! :)

Driving lights in your intended location actually looks sweet! I tried to replicate the same with a pair of 6” lights, but it turns out that large lights that mount from the rear are pretty expensive, so I dropped the idea.

You can wire the lights to the free switched SAM outlet for lights that’ll run whenever the car is running. Perma-DRL and fog lights!

Reactions: twcom

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Trimmed the front fender with carbon fiber tape to match the rear carbon fiber look arch lip. $11.00 for the roll it may have taken one dollars worth to do both front arches.

Found a ABS plastic chrome piece laying in the weeds at a side walk curb, picked it up held on to it a couple of days. Then it ended up here.

I will leave it on and see if I like it or not, Its winning me over and a free piece to boot.

Snow tonight into tomorrow. I'll be catching the bus tomorrow the Yoko's are not snow savvy.

·
17,479 Posts
Twcom truly is fulfilling my teenage dreams of having a completely "Chromed Out" smart. I dig it!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Working on my hood. I am going to look at these $10.00 stickon's this week. If I like them I will actually cut out the holes and glue them in from underneath. So the top picture is some time in October 2017 and the car today in the bottom picture

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I went to Home Depot and bought the Dremel 3000 Rotary Cutting Tool for 70 Bucks that adds to the cost of this $10.00 mod, :shrug: but I will get good use out of the Dremel tool on various other projects. Then off with the Bonnet and make some cuts. :hackitup:

Easy to use tool and easy to cut material made this a fast job. The excellent cut depth control kept the inner structure of the Bonnet intact with no displacement. I would be better and neater if I do this again but I am very happy with the outcome. :Thankyou:

Now the stickon look is gone and the recessed in vents look very nice.
We will put the car back on the Dyno to see how much Horse Power gain we picked up with this add on. :smartje.grs.zw: :wink:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My $6.00 roof antenna shows delivered by USPS. Will check when I get home. May have my little Rat Tail stuck on there tomorrow .

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Chrome tip

where did you get the chrome exhaust tip from. I've been looking for one for my 2015 451 a long time.
Here is where I posted that little gem. ( http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/1583906-post3257.html ) I put mine in with JB Weld but it eventually becomes too brittle with the exhaust heat, so it should be truly welded in place to keep it in place long term. Currently I just pop it in when showing the car so I wont lose it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reattached and repainted my rear hatch window handle. The $5.00 Home Depot drawer pull attached with Gorilla Glue.

Then I gave my bumper the $4.00 back up parking sensor look.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have no DLR, Fog or Driving lights yet. I have reflectors magnetically held in place and crystals in the area of the DLRs. I am working on the front coming at you look.

This is what I intend to do. Place a set of driving lights this size in this location.
I am afraid it will add to the to tall narrow look of the front view.

I don't like this location at all.

I like this a lot, widens the stance but I like my crystals where they are.

I want them toggled as driving lights.
I will find a way to get the Brabus Headlights in a PMD manner.
So this is the realization of the idea of driving lights.

Will be deciding on removing yellow reflectors and lower crystals as in photo shopped out pic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts