Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by the dealership where my Brabus will be delivered. It's a new dealership, which just opened, and there happened to be a regional Smart representative there (forget his name... but Dave comes to mind). I asked him why 16's in Europe and 15's here.

His response was the bigger profile tires on 15" gave better crash test results on the front end. Something about the tire absorbing more impact.

Not sure if I believe it or not, but that's what he said. Let the discussion begin...

BTW, the brabus rims look better in person than in the pics.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Either way it looks like a set of rim locks are needed before leaving the dealer. Otherwise none of us will have tires to talk about........:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
BRABUS wheel prices?

Has anyone priced out a 15" BRABUS wheel from a smart dealer parts counter yet? I'm curious as to the price for a set of 4. McGard wheel locks are a wise choice.

2005smartcdi ...

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Either way it looks like a set of rim locks are needed before leaving the dealer. Otherwise none of us will have tires to talk about........:)
How much of a Black market value is there on rims that only fit the Smart. Three hub and only 20,000 cars in the states along with an alarm that should sense if someone picks up the car. Not worth the trip in the police car.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
But, playing Devil's advocate, how many uninformed thief would know that those wheels have such a limited potential market beforehand? They take, cannot sell, so they ditch... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
51 Posts
BRABUS wheel prices?

Unfortunately the criminal mind doesn't think that way forestacademy. It be wired differently and only sees it as a valuable shiny thing that might be worth some money at the local pawn shop. Once you see the price of any BRABUS wheel you will understand why; which is the reason there is a market for replica BRABUS wheels. The wheel in this photo appears to be a six lug wheel that conveniently accomodates the smart 3 lug setup. The BRABUS wheel in Europe only has 3 lugs if my memory serves me correctly. Check it out at the wellsmart.co.uk website.

2005smartcdi ...

·
Registered
55 Posts
The reason for my comment about the rim locks is that we are (USA) getting the 6 lug rims as shown in the pic above according to my smart dealer.
All the more reason for the locks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
BRABUS wheel prices?

Yes, 6 lug might also fit other European cars making them all the more valuable to thieves. I'm curious to see what the Canadian 451 BRABUS model gets; probably the same as the US model. The 450's BRABUS wheels were 3 lug on the Nightrun edition in Canada. These were the European wheels. FlyingTiger.ca carries the BRABUS wheel in varying sizes and prices.

2005smartcdi ...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Those extra holes are not made to stick a lug bolt through them.
The pure steel wheels could be considered six lug wheels and the passion wheels would be considered nine lug wheels just because they have extra holes?

·
Registered
330 Posts
As a owner of an original set of BRABUS 16/17” wheels, I do not like this 15/17” design.

PS: Hammerly is right: these are strict 3-lug wheels.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Good find, tbone!

Still, when ours arrive, the 17s are up for sale. Can't stand imbalance the look.

Btw extra holes for alignment equipment.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good find, tbone!

Still, when ours arrive, the 17s are up for sale. Can't stand imbalance the look.

Btw extra holes for alignment equipment.
I'm still up for a trade, as long as fitment works for both parties. My DDE has now moved up to Feb-April 2009, so I may get my Brabus about the same time as yours.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great info for Brabus owners. Looked at the McGard site, but I don't know the lenght or thread pattern. I guess I could measure one of my lugs. Does anyone konw the thread type? :eek: Jim

·
Registered
396 Posts
But, playing Devil's advocate, how many uninformed thief would know that those wheels have such a limited potential market beforehand? They take, cannot sell, so they ditch... :rolleyes:
My thoughts, exactly.

Spending less than $40 worth of protection is better than taking the risk of some uninformed yahoo coming by thinking they can make a quick buck by stealing some nice looking unprotected rims and ruining your day (Geez, I did know they were 3-lugged). Besides, match McGards up with some chromed lug bolts and you have a slick look.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I believe it about the crash ratings, that is why they have been so touchy about not selling the other Smart wheels available elsewhere at all - with such little crumple zone at the front of the car protecting the passengers the design and response of the wheel/tire in an impact likely play a significant role vs other cars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts