Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
The video didn't mention that there was no advertising or support from the mother ship in the US. I'm sure their conclusion would be that it would be too expensive and that there wouldn't be sufficient sales number increases to offset the cost and turn a profit. Hopefully, we will still be able to order parts for our cars but that is getting a little iffy as well as some parts are NLA.

·
Super Moderator
17,721 Posts
They got it mostly right, except for the fact that Smart has been in China for longer than they make it seem. Only the Geely partnership is new.

But yeah, small cars don't stand a chance in SUV-loving America. Even Toyota and Ford pulled their tiny cars off of the market.

I'm glad Penske gave it a shot. If not, we probably wouldn't have some of the most delightfully weird production cars on the road. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
The rise....
In Europe/UK the Smart sells well, it always has, due to its small, fun and quirky looks. I bought my first one in 2003, a 450, followed by a 451, a soft top roadster and now have petrol 453's (a coupe and a cabrio). To me the 453 has been the best built of them all.

The fall....
Deciding to go all electric has been the greatest big marketing mistake, the 453 EQ has not sold well in the UK due to crazy high prices for what is a small car. Also the range is really poor, say 90 miles at best. I just would never buy one due to these two facts, cost and range. To alleviate the range problem the new 2022 EQ which is going to be a four seater SUV from China, will have around triple the range of the 453 EQ, but the pricing is going to be sky high, prices mentioned has been between £25k to £30k plus, which is just silly money for a Smart. Smart think they are going to get existing customers like me returning to buy the new SUV, but no, I want petrol, I want a two seater, I want it at an affordable price. So I and many others will be finished with new Smart cars after all these years, and if wanting a new petrol car will have to go to another car make. Pity.

·
Super Moderator
17,721 Posts
One thing I've never been able to get Daimler to confirm (and to be fair, they've never denied, either) is if this EV push is a response to 453 sales.

The 453 fortwo never beat the 451's numbers.

And even combined with the 453 forfour, smart's best sales year was 2005.

One thing I have been able to confirm is that the new EV SUV isn't really targeted at us existing owners. Smart is going after affluent Chinese buyers that are scooping up electric SUVs faster than they can be built. Smart's execs have said that the new SUV will shed the playful image for a premium feel. So it's not really built for us, but a different demographic entirely.

·
Registered
84 Posts
On the defence of numbers of 453's in Europe, many like myself was not too happy about the 453 being a two box structure, ie, a bonnet (hood) was added for a 'pedestrian friendly' hit, and so it no longer looked like the iconic Smart one box structure, with sloping front {450 and 451}. It took me a long while to consider a 453, and was just hanging on to my 451. Eventually i took the plunge and bought the 453, especially that the petrol version was ending. Another factor was price as the 453 which was a big leap up on price from the 451. I got round that as I always do by buying an ex-demo, where you get thousands off the price, for a low mileage car. OK, its a second hand car that was a dealerships car, but I am ok with that, as it give me a lot off the price for what is really an almost new car.

If you look at the table of cars sold (in above comment), initially there is a big number of sales as its a new car shape, but a number of years later it is no longer deemed as a new car model as it has been out a while so sales drop, then the sales drop drastically due to the pandemic, and start up again at a slower pace due to being 'all electric' only . I am just so sad there is no more new or ex-demo petrol 453's to buy from the dealerships. as I really like the 453.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What makes me mad is listening to some complain how expensive gas is getting while they fill up their gas guzzling pickup trucks, Humvees and bug SUVs.....My Smarty may be small but I will be better on the environment then they ever will.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
393 Posts
What makes me mad is listening to some complain how expensive gas is getting while they fill up their gas guzzling pickup trucks, Humvees and bug SUVs.....My Smarty may be small but I will be better on the environment then they ever will.
Yes, IIRC, the 451 was considered #1 cleanest exhaust in the U.S. (I remember reading this somewhere, but I may be wrong. I have no source.)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Bravo!! Well said!!

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven’t seen a Hummer on the road for years. The next 2024 GMC version, will be all electric.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The one that annoys me is when I hear some idiot proclaim that Smart cars are terrible while having never ridden in, driven, worked on, or owned one.
I have no problems knocking it for it's faults, but it's not a bad car; I've had cars that were better and cars that were worse.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,096 Posts
The next 2024 GMC version, will be all electric.
Please pass the S’mores!

2024, maybe GM will have recalled, repaired, repurchased ALL of the “SMOLDERING” Chevy Bolts by then???

Ask an OWNER - MY21 Chevy Bolt, 1,950 miles, RECALLED and the charging protocols pending GM finding a “fix” can become cumbersome…

LOVE the car, meets all our needs but…

·
Registered
287 Posts
My Smarty may be small but I will be better on the environment then they ever will.
I always laugh when I get rewards points off my gas on a fill: "Oooooh! 20¢ a gallon? Extra dollar-fifty, baby!"

And by "always," of course, I mean almost never, because I don't hardly ever have to fill up my smart car's tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im wondering....did I understand that the smart car is totally electric now? If so...will they ever bring back a gas model? Or the ones that are on the roads now it? I will not purchase an electric car. Guess I will keep my "baby" til it dies then. LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts