Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose the target location is any place other than California. It would be most challenging to drive in California and never drive on a freeway.
The real challenge is finding a freeway in a metropolitan area in California where you could drive long enough at constant speed that you could use speed/cruise control.

alan

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you think about it, a very logical descion. The car was not planned to be a highway cruiser, its meant for congested traffic enviroments. I think alot of people misuse cruise control, it is only really meant for the open road, where there is no traffic whatsoever. Any type of traffic situation, even light should be a place where the driver controls the car, not the other way around.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Poor Me....

If you think about it, a very logical descion. The car was not planned to be a highway cruiser, its meant for congested traffic enviroments. I think alot of people misuse cruise control, it is only really meant for the open road, where there is no traffic whatsoever. Any type of traffic situation, even light should be a place where the driver controls the car, not the other way around.
My daily commute is 14 miles each way of blissfully empty, single lane, state highway. The only other cars I see are State Troopers. Cruise control is a big plus! :D

I realise that this type of driving represents a gross misuse of a smart car anyway, and I deserve to be punished for living in such a beautiful and unconjested area....:p

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess being without speed control is a non-issue to anyone whose commute does not incorporate freeway driving.

I suppose the target location is any place other than California. It would be most challenging to drive in California and never drive on a freeway.

Anyone know of an aftermarket speed control that is smart car ready?

·
Registered
35 Posts

It is very much true that cruise controls should not be used in amongst traffic. Its for "cruising"... open road use. Highways, freeways and the like. But its an incredible misconception that the smart is not capable or suitable for that kind of driving. The smart is highly capable of freeway speeds and is perfectly safe on the open road. There are a couple hundred thousand of them on European highways every day, and another 10,000 on the Canadian freeways and here in the USA it will be no different.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Like MicroNut, I have a ~14 mile-each-way commute here in the Bay Area. I drive after rush hour and have been using cruise control to gain an extra 2 miles per gallon (by setting it to 65). I also use it in the same way for the occasional trips to San Francisco and points south. I was hoping the smart would have cruise control to see how much I could optimize highway mileage. It's the one option I'm going to miss.

·
Registered
309 Posts
while not used often, when desired to be used, its needed a lot.

it a basic std item today. the car should have it. unless it overburdens something in a small car, causing a shorter life, or worse mpg, etc., by having cruise control.

after all taxes and fees, the cabrio will be nearly a $20,000 vehicle. a few will be over $20,000.

a $20,000 vehicle seems like it should have old tech items like

cruise control,
driver arm rest,
digital ave mpg readout,
smooth solid tramsission, (whether manual or automatic, or semi-automatic manual) and, a
3 year warranty.

the lack of a cruise control, or lack of even an option for cruise control, makes one reminded of a possibly primitive, bare bones, low end, vehicle.

yet, it is a mercedes.
so,
its not low end,
nor primitive,
nor cheaply priced,
being near or over $20,000 out the door.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Mister dot com in Germany has a CC module for the 451 series...but the sticker shock will keep many of us from ordering from him... hummm??

seems like an enterprising electronics dude could make some bucks

I have posted the link several times and too lazy right now to look it up again

Those of you with the attitude about CC not in keeping with the Smart Car ethos are full of hooey... a well used CC can save significant fuel for those of us who have long, non congested, commutes... and by this thread there seem to be a lot of us....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cruise Control

I use my cruise control all the time, even while running around town (on the freeway). Traffic rarely is so heavy in the Milwaukee area that it would be dangerous or pointless to use it. (I will note that because of my work schedule I can easily avoid rush hours, so I find cruise more useful than many might.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey guys.

Well, as the company working hard to develop a cruise for the 451, I do know a lot about them and can answer technical questions.

At least on the 450, they offered cruise control. Evilution.com has instructions on how to install an OEM cruise control unit.

Linkie:
There was a lot of confusion generated over that for the 450. A company in Canada called www.smartieparts.com offers the only aftermarket cruise control for the 450. The OEM cruise would not be available even if it were available... the Canadians found that out the hard way. A bunch of people bought the kit, but you'll notice one step of the install is to take it to the dealer to have the TAN code activated. But since cruise was never available in that market (Canada) the dealers didn't have the ability to do that.

Both the aftermarket kit and the OEM kit use a switch that was designed for the old model, which had a gray interior plastic. The 451 has a black interior. So even if you could retro-fit it, it would look pretty dumb.

Another thing to note in case you are thinking that because it was available for the 450 that it will be available for the 451... keep in mind it was a factory option from the beginning on the 450! The 451, it was deliberately left off the list! They had to cut a lot of costs to make it attractive to the US market, and that may have just been one.

it a basic std item today. the car should have it. unless it overburdens something in a small car, causing a shorter life, or worse mpg, etc., by having cruise control.

[...]

a $20,000 vehicle seems like it should have old tech items like

cruise control, [...]
A cruise will actually increase MPG, of course. There is no burden to the system because it is 100% electronic.

And that's also why its not "old tech" either. The smart is a different kind of car. In most cars, cruise control units have servo motors that actually pull cables and have physical linkages that control the throttle. Since the smart has no throttle (in a traditional sense) that kind of system can't work. So it has to be done entirely electronically. This is actually simpler in some senses... but takes a lot more R&D.

You can follow our progress at: www.smartcarcruisecontrol.com

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mister dot com in Germany has a CC module for the 451 series...but the sticker shock will keep many of us from ordering from him... hummm??
Two comments.

First. Not to be down on the "competition"... but the one they have for the 451 has two major problems in our view:
  1. It *still* uses the gray plastic switch so you'll have one black arm (turn signals) and one gray one (wiper/cruise).
  2. Because there is no female socket available (anywhere) for the accelerator plug, they have it plug directly into the circuit board. They did the same thing with the previous version. As a company with an electronics engineer on board, we can tell you that isn't the safest way of making an electrical connection. And discussions with the Canadians that used the older version... there were a LOT of people that reported error codes being thrown relating to the accelerator pedal. I'm certain this is because of momentary contact failure caused by the extra strain from this kind of set up.
Second... about the "sticker shock" statement. All aftermarket parts for a car with this small of a total market will be expensive. We do aim to have ours competitively priced when the time comes, but it won't be cheap. And there will be no apologies for that. It is simple economics. The plastic housing for our custom switch, for example, costs us over $50,000 in mold tooling costs. If we could sell 10,000 units that would be only $5 each, fine... but there's no way we'll ever sell that kind of volume for a one-car product. Its not like this is going to be a Civic or an F150. 1,000 units is an outside stretch, and at that it is $50 per unit. And that's only ONE component of this!

It'll be the same with everything smart related. For your Civic, you can get a set of wheels for $250. For the smart, with its unique bolt-pattern and offsets, will be at a minimum $1500 probably and likely closer to $2500 for a high quality set.

If its a product that EVERY smart will need... like oil filters... then they can be cheap because there are a quarter million of them out there. But for aftermarket parts, which only appeal to a very small percentage of an already relatively small market...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Alan, Cruise Control is not an option in Europe either. Not for the new 451. It was for the older model only. Unless there's been some news I haven't heard about, but I have some pretty good connections over there that should have let me know if something changed.

And it also isn't "MCC Smart" "MCC" ended quite a number of years ago. Whether or not it is a "Mercedes" depends on the market you buy it. Our registration paper says "Mercedes" as the make and "smartcar" as the model. In Canada, I'm told, it says "SMARTCAR" as the make and "Fortwo" as the model.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts