Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't even own a smart, but I can't wait to see what they've done. I have high expectations for a new benchmark for modern micro cars.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"A big leap needs a big run-up."

The premise for this video is that Mercedes is taking the 453 seriously.

The smart has the potential to be a very useful product in the MBZ lineup, and I expect the 453's extensive refinements will allow smart to play at a whole new level. The amount of thought, time, and reengineering that MBZ has clearly put into the 453 should give great expectation of a high-set bar.

I don't think that smart will be the forgotten stepchild for much longer.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
If it is going to have the popularity that it does in Europe, they're going to have to bring over various powertrains like the Brabus Turbo.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
smart introduced, nice concepts for years now. Nothing ever come out of them. What's really needed, is the 4 door version here. More then one engine, real performance, and several transmissions, would really help sales here. Cheap service, would be on my list too. Aston Martin tried selling a luxury city car, it failed. What works in Europe, doesn't always work here.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
smart introduced, nice concepts for years now. Nothing ever come out of them.

Never say never! Those years of concepts were clearly exploratory... to evaluate public reaction and prepare for this new generation of smarts.

There will be plenty of time for negativity and re-rants later.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
What works in Europe, doesn't always work here.
BUT, Europe rules on this world car.

When M-B/smart focus on where their "critical ma$$" is, U.S. sales become the pimple on the WORLD sales elephants behind . . .

·
Registered
624 Posts
Will be quite curious ...

if they pull this off even close to these DNA possibilities, quite modern and clean design and still has relevance with gas most recently as high as its been over this past holiday (didn't dampen people traveling though).

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I just read this:

It is believed the cars will be available on order on July 31 and customers will start getting them in September. Other known features include a rearview camera, rear parking sensors, front bumper-mounted turn signals and daytime running lights built into the headlights and likely featuring LEDs. Inside there will be a multi-function three-spoke steering wheel and a tachometer mounted near the A-pillar.
Source: 2015 Smart ForTwo and ForFour teased [video]

Please leave the tachometer alone!!

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great news, if the accelerated timetable for ordering is true. My local dealer believes we'll get the car next June or July in United States, but that seems like an eternity away.

At least we'll get some first-drive reviews very soon. That should be extremely interesting.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Great news, if the accelerated timetable for ordering is true. My local dealer believes we'll get the car next June or July in United States . . .
Probably the most likely SWAG to come out of the changeover?

For those who may have visited the plant, are there multiple assembly lines that could facilitate building both 451's and 453's concurrently? Or, will the 451 N.A. inventory be simply "leftovers?" :shrug:

Personally, following the July 16 showing of the PRODUCTION 2015 453, I'd like to see smartUSA reprise the $99 reservation/order program. Seems it could be an inexpensive way to generate some long lost brand excitement?
:spots:

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For those who may have visited the plant, are there multiple assembly lines that could facilitate building both 451's and 453's concurrently?

Personally... I'd like to see smartUSA reprise the $99 reservation/order program

There was to be an extensive makeover of the factory in preparation for the 453. But since the Cabrio and ED will continue for awhile longer, smart will need to maintain two production lines.

Recently I had the same thought about the $99 reservation program!

In addition, I think it would be great if those of us who placed online orders previously – or at least Day One orders like I did – would be offered a special 453 Launch Edition. What a treat that would be for the original supporters. THAT would generate my interest!

·
17,349 Posts
AFAIK, the remaining US spec ICE 451s will be leftovers. Apparently the plant is supposed to have a nice and smooth transition from 451 to 453.

The EV 451 is supposed to soldier on to 2016, so at least one 451 production line will remain online.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
For those who may have visited the plant, are there multiple assembly lines that could facilitate building both 451's and 453's concurrently? Or, will the 451 N.A. inventory be simply "leftovers?"

There is one line only but it should be possible for multiple models to be built on the same line. I haven't seen that at smartville but there is no reason it shouldn't work. Certainly Peugeot was doing this on single lines in 1986 when I saw FWD 205s and RWD 505s being built literally on the same line.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts