Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
Saw it earlier today on my Facebook. They must be using the 7 Up ad agency. It works. Will it sell car?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
So does this mean "Open Your Mind" is TTFN? I have mixed feelings about it.
Small is one of the main points that the naysayers always bring up.

It's more than a car,it's a way of life

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Um.

It's good to see a commercial, but it hardly has any product features or rationale for someone wanting it, unless they've never seen one.

But if you have ever seen one... maybe you already realize it is small?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I like the ad overall, but agree with jetfuel and others about the "unbig" statement.

Part of what smart needs to overcome is the public misconception that the fortwo is not a "real" car, but rather some sort of toy. Calling it an "uncar" isn't going to help much in that respect. I almost feel they could simply modify the tagline to "unbig, not uncar", and they'd be sending a much better message.

Still, it's nice to see advertising finally starting to pick up. :)

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I love they are advertising. Like to kick their marketing team for the uncar idea. Unbig is great but Uncar just makes you have to explain harder that it CAN travel on roads.

I think I can see where they are trying to go with it I think
- It is unbig but can carry surprisingly more than you would think, it is a "uncar" but yet can travel with the best of all the other cars on the road.

·
Super Moderator
28,842 Posts
The good news - smart ran two commercials on national TV tonight. The bad news - what were they trying to tell us? Big, big, big, big, big... small. Unbig. Uncar. Huh? :confused:

·
aka 'spice'
115 Posts
I like the ad overall, but agree with jetfuel and others about the "unbig" statement.

Part of what smart needs to overcome is the public misconception that the fortwo is not a "real" car, but rather some sort of toy. Calling it an "uncar" isn't going to help much in that respect. I almost feel they could simply modify the tagline to "unbig, not uncar", and they'd be sending a much better message.

Still, it's nice to see advertising finally starting to pick up. :)
or 'unbig.uncommon.' maybe.

I don't get why they didn't ask the smart community, before they put this out.
I'm gonna go get a unbig Gulp, uncola and go visit my UNcle.
MJB

·
17,384 Posts
I get where they're coming from with this. America is obsessed with "BIG" and the smart is well..."small"...

Good, they got a commercial, now play it on every network every few minutes until Christmas! Have EVERYONE brainwashed! :D

·
Vendor
3,563 Posts
It is good to see a smart commercial, but they missed the point.

The common thing that most do not know about is the following:

1. Safety - most think of the smart is a very unsafe car
2. Fun to Drive - nothing here either
3. Lot's of Room Inside - most get in the car and say "Wow! I didn't realize how big it is inside". Nothing on this either!
4. Personalization - smart is designed to be personalized and most owners do exactly that. They could have focused a bit more on the fact that each owner and each smart is unique in its own way. Pitch a unique car that is fun, safe and small and is not just another bland gray sedan.
5. Made by MB! - Many have no idea that MB makes the smart and that is a BIG selling point.

On the positive side we are finally seeing something, now if they can just ask the owners and enthusiasts like you for feedback they'd be on the right track.

·
17,384 Posts
Oh lord, I just figured out that this is a terrible ad...Why? We could start with the naming of the Electric Drive mixing with the naming of the campaign...

"The smart ED!!!!!! UN-BIG!"

*facepalm*

·
Registered
287 Posts
While I was not excited by the commercial...I think we all know that one of the problems that MB faces is that no one knows about the smart...this seems to be a teaser ad...short (30 sec) and just a hint of the car at the end.

It's a start.

It played in prime time, both morning and evening. That is quite a few bucks to spend for the first ever national TV spots.

It's a start.

It may get a few folks to the showrooms...if they can find those showrooms.

It's a start...let's see where it goes. Let's see what next month's sales figures look like.

Like I said, it's a start.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
It gets the name across by making the public take a second look. For years the ad agencies have pushed the "supersize' and "now even bigger" idea across so this is obviously a play on the word "Big" It's fun and different. As levindb said, its a start. Lets see where it goes before condemning it.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
This is a teaser ad. They'll have to follow with more.

In marketing, you want to:

1: Make them curious. Make them ask questions. Like, "Just $159/mo? Seriously?"
2: Make them want it.
3: Make them NEED it. For a new or low-adoption product, this part is essential.

Then you've made the sale.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I'm not sure they missed their demographic. The car is counter-culture for sure, so the commercial should hit the spot -- kind of unconventional, unorthodox, un-car (OK, maybe not the last one). They could have flashed a semi-subliminal 40 mpg bold graphic right at the end as the bone. If you are going to trade big for something, it might as well save you a little (or BIG) at the pump. Regardless, and hallelujah, it's a start!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'm just happy, for now, to see ANY tv commercial! I'm sure subsequent commercials will talk more about safety and features, I bet this is just an ice breaker. Hurray for a commercial!

1 - 20 of 196 Posts