Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a car2go head unit (brand new "working") at a local surplus store.

They don't know anything about it, so I'm really curious if it's worth picking up? I'm hoping I can replace the (crappy) stock radio since even the upgraded one with the screen doesn't have as nice of a UI!

And for anyone in the know, how would updating maps etc work?

Thanks for being a great community here! I've been a lurker for a while

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I found a car2go head unit (brand new "working") at a local surplus store.

They don't know anything about it, so I'm really curious if it's worth picking up? I'm hoping I can replace the (crappy) stock radio since even the upgraded one with the screen doesn't have as nice of a UI!

And for anyone in the know, how would updating maps etc work?

Thanks for being a great community here! I've been a lurker for a while
Personally, I wouldn't waste any time with it. It might work, but you'll find almost nobody on planet earth who can help you troubleshoot it if things go wrong. Those C2Go cars had 2 different keys, one for the radio/navi unit and another for the doors, it's just a mess if you pick it up and it malfunctions on you.

You would be much better served just buying an aftermarket head unit with all the features you want for a couple hundred bucks. Buy a dash kit and you should be all set.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally, I wouldn't waste any time with it. It might work, but you'll find almost nobody on planet earth who can help you troubleshoot it if things go wrong. Those C2Go cars had 2 different keys, one for the radio/navi unit and another for the doors, it's just a mess if you pick it up and it malfunctions on you.

You would be much better served just buying an aftermarket head unit with all the features you want for a couple hundred bucks. Buy a dash kit and you should be all set.
I think if I can find it cheap enough I'll give it a try though yeah it does seem difficult!

I took a c2g on a drive once and the "plate" that covers the SD card and usb port was missing. I wish I saw what was on the SD card

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I think if I can find it cheap enough I'll give it a try though yeah it does seem difficult!

I took a c2g on a drive once and the "plate" that covers the SD card and usb port was missing. I wish I saw what was on the SD card
My point is that the aftermarket navi touchscreen units are not difficult. The smart 451 has as easy a radio swap as you'll ever find out there on the market. Messing with those C2Go radios with all kinds of security features is just an annoyance and you're begging for disappointment. But, you seem intent. So try it and let everybody learn from you. :nerd:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My point is that the aftermarket navi touchscreen units are not difficult. The smart 451 has as easy a radio swap as you'll ever find out there on the market. Messing with those C2Go radios with all kinds of security features is just an annoyance and you're begging for disappointment. But, you seem intent. So try it and let everybody learn from you. :nerd:

lol not doing it cause it's easy (though I still think it looks the least crap of any radio option)

I'm just hoping anyone had some info lol

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
lol not doing it cause it's easy (though I still think it looks the least crap of any radio option)

I'm just hoping anyone had some info lol
It's a nightmare waiting to happen. Those units are programmed to also tie into the security and ignition immobilization, all kinds of headaches waiting to happen. What will you do if you can't start your car one day, or you misplace the 2nd key that is required to turn the unit on?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx for suggestion but I'd have to look locally (I'm Canadian) Plus I liked the C2G radio because it looked stock, but I guess I might have to live with a different look

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
It came out of a 451, so it will go into a 451.

BUT, it ain't all that great as a nav unit, and as mentioned before, there are other better (and less expensive) units avaible new aftermarket.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It came out of a 451, so it will go into a 451.

BUT, it ain't all that great as a nav unit, and as mentioned before, there are other better (and less expensive) units avaible new aftermarket.
This may sound dumb but I loved the little driving score, I can pickup one for ~150 USD so even for fun I'd think it's worth it.

Otherwise I'll learn to live with the stock radio!

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
This may sound dumb but I loved the little driving score, I can pickup one for ~150 USD so even for fun I'd think it's worth it.

Otherwise I'll learn to live with the stock radio!
Try it, and let us know how it goes. I'm sure there are probably going to be tons of them for sale eventually. Car 2 Go cars are everywhere.

·
Banned
844 Posts
i have a "10" radio, bought a pure without a radio, originally installed a "high power" Pioneer, then got a slightly used smart "10" radio with 6 disc changer for $80. i listen to talk radio most of the time, CDs when driving to-from rallies or long distances.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have a "10" radio, bought a pure without a radio, originally installed a "high power" Pioneer, then got a slightly used smart "10" radio with 6 disc changer for $80. i listen to talk radio most of the time, CDs when driving to-from rallies or long distances.
I wish the stock options came with Sirius :/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts