Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm thinking about purchasing an Electric Smart, and will readily admit I know next to nothing about them. The car is perfect for my life, now retired, as I really don't go long distances and usually solo. I am sure that I will have lots of questions, but to start, is there a good guide as to what to look for when purchasing one. I really want a solid car, as I don't need another project car (my wife has an '06 Mini;)). Currently we live in NC, so weather conditions are not harsh, with maybe one snow. I have always liked these little cars, and almost pulled the plug a couple of times on a gas model. The EV just seems like a perfect fit.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,860 Posts
The Smart EV is the perfect car for me too, so perfect in fact that I have three of them. Love them and probably use them for 98% of my driving. I'm also in NC, Ocean Isle Beach. Easiest cars I've ever had to maintain - no oil changes, no spark plugs, etc. I'd say the most important things to look for are the history of the car, the age of the 12v battery and get the HV battery tested.

Len
2014 Coupe 22,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 23,000 miles
2015 EV Coupe 21,000 miles

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
171 Posts
There have been a few recent threads. For example

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for the guidance. Before I joined, I went to the local MB dealer that sold Smart Vehicles, and asked if they could still work on an EV, and received the dear in the headlights reaction. So I am still sorting this out. I'm migrating over to the EV forum and starting to learn about battery problems. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Smart brand here in the United States is considered an orphan brand.
A person would be wise to consider other more mainstream electric vehicles that have some sort of dealer support here in case something major happens.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
171 Posts
Jo, fortunately the prices reflect that status. Most of the issues that could happen with a SMART ED are simple. There is no engine or transmission. Brakes and suspension are the same as an ICE care and any midas can fix those. It is only that high-voltage battery pack that is a scary unique point of failure. I bought my 2017 ED for under $9k this winter. My fingers are crossed to get at least 5 years out of it. By then EV technology will be so far advanced the SMART will look like a Model-T.

And I sold my '04 MINI 2 years ago when the cost to fix was going to be more than the value if repaired.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Could be the OP I want something that's going to last longer than 5 years.
I stand by he should go mainstream.
More room, more power, more range, better ride. Yes more money
Why chance it?

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
171 Posts
Fair enough question. I looked at a used i3 that I would have used the same as the SMART, it would have cost me twice as much to purchase, but had a more sure support system (but at least as much cost to repair) and each had about a year of warranty left on them. I decided to take the risk on a SMART battery. Most (not all) EV batteries are making it well past 5 years with limited degradation (I currently show 82 miles range at 100% charge in cool weather). I have heard no stories of bricked batteries on 453s, but I would not have taken the risk on a 451 (I did see a 2014 for about $5k). If I can get 5-8 years out of it, I am golden. If not, I lost a bet and hopefully can part out the car for some portion of it's price. I agree only gamble as much as you can afford to loose (unsupported car, stock market, Vegas), but if all indications are that the odds are in your favor, then it is a reasoned and calculated risk. The currently European model is mostly identical, so new parts are still available, but my understanding is that a new battery would be more than the value of my car. The 2018 has a better warranty, but at the time they were very rare used and 50% more than a 2017.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
171 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the guidance. Before I joined, I went to the local MB dealer that sold Smart Vehicles, and asked if they could still work on an EV, and received the dear in the headlights reaction. So I am still sorting this out. I'm migrating over to the EV forum and starting to learn about battery problems. Thanks again
All of the battery stories I am aware of are with 451 model EDs. The 2017 (or was it mid-16?) and newer ED/EQs are 453 models, and appear to be more reliable (or time hasn't caught up to them yet, I can't tell you that for sure).

·
Registered
564 Posts
The only reason I didn't drop the hammer was the mileage per charge. I work 57mi from work. With no provisions for an electic, it's a no for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts