Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a story today published in December, pointing to an EV co-venture between Nissan, Renault, and Mitsubishi (now under Nissans control). The point of this cooperative effort is to substantially share, to lower costs and gain competitive advantages in the EV marketplace.

Nissan, Renault, Mitsubishi to share electric car platform: Nikkei | Reuters

It struck me as interesting that smart/Mercedes-Benz hadn't been identified as part of this cooperative effort, for due to its obvious 453 connection.

It seems that smart runs the risk of quickly falling behind in the EV game, which may already be the case by the time the 453 ED arrives.

Where better to join an EV alliance than with its friends at Renault-Nissan, unless there is either (1) an underlying conflict, or (2) Mercedes-Benz plans to pull all future EV development under its own roof?

With or without smart, the story points to an evolutionary strategy for consolidation in the EV market.

·
Super Moderator
29,027 Posts
The whole concept of the fortwo makes it an unlikely candidate for a joint venture involving larger cars with different approaches to transportation. The forfour could possibly be integrated into this scheme, as it's a Renault under the skin. Just my .02. :)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Very interesting especially since M-B /smart have used Mitsubishi and now Renault for bits and pieces of the smarts....And M-B not part of the alliance ? I truly feel deep down inside once M-B develops their smaller cars either EV or hybrid, smart will become a foot note in auto history....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts