Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm heavily considering it, since a smart EV is not possible without moving (charging :( ). The smart would make a great passenger/city car while the Elio would do fantastic for commuting, and it's cheap enough to be a second car for me.

·
17,349 Posts
I was skeptical at first, but darn it looks like this one will actually make it! :)

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
IF it makes it to production it won't last long -- I got a bet on it! $1.3 million has been taken in deposits if they all did $100 bucks! That's a lot of scratch for the promoter to burn through on the way to bankruptcy!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I keep being convinced it's flash in the pan, and yet....
It's big. Americans will like that. It's tandem, that they won't.
It's economical, depends not only on the price of gas, but on the "cool", "funky" or "cute" perception of the public. Those who own smarts know that the public is a herd animal, with the perplexing desire to "stand out" within the values of the herd. (King cab, bigger wheels, bigger engine, better hood ornament) but all within the general constraints of the "herd"
A member with an unusual gait or appearance (smart or other) runs the risk of being savaged.
I'm not worried about the "next year for sure" element. We had that and have it with the smart.
I wonder about the "credit card" option. Get $35 worth of gas....your card is charged $105...and that's your car payment as well. Might be stupid..might be genius.
Living in NC (Burlington) is see the nearest "center" will be in Cary.
Average income 150, 000 year. As we've seen with MB...plant the star in a rich community and they may come.
And finally, what happens with road debris or a more permanent object intersects that 1920's roadster machinery beteen body and tire?
Having said that, I'd like to have one-if didn't already have an outside the box vehicle-the smart.:)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Back seat folds..................

I have been on the elio"list"for almost a year.The early prototypes #1 thru #3 ,
have had rear seat folding,but items had to be loaded via drivers door.With the
#4 prototype,added a small hatch above the rear seat. Claims to hold a large
carry-on bag behind rear seat.And with rear seat folded,can hold a big Costco or
wally-world run.........................

·
17,349 Posts
I thought it (the price) was somewhat believable in the earlier prototypes. The thing looked like it competed with the Tata Nano for build quality.

But in this final version? Thing looks like it could easily crack the $10k barrier. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts