Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I won't be able to read the "article" until I get home from work.

Gotta say though, the source raises a giant red flag.

·
Registered
521 Posts
60k for a rover? what a waste

Could have shelled out 10k+ for a Tesla and wouldn't have been hit for emission control :D

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Have we sunk so low that infowars and Alex Jones are even worthy of consideration?
Is this thread, considering the source even not a violation of the TOS political ban issue?

infowars is a blatantly political propagandist web site.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well in all fairness the Alex Jones article played down the fact that the car was seized because it was illegally imported and had its VIN numbers tampered with. Does he think that the Reagan administration was over stepping its bounds when it impounded Bill Gates Porsche 959 in 1987?

Furthermore there was a video at the bottom of the page in which Mr. Jones tells us that an American doctor who was brought back to the US for treatment after contracting the ebola virus so he could get the best care possible was actually brought to the US so that President Obama can declare martial law. NPR doesn't normally include stories of that sort on All Things Considered.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Rumors and Propaganda, subjects the paparazzi , National Enquirer and such thrive on..

More fear for the unwitting masses..

steveg.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Have we sunk so low that infowars and Alex Jones are even worthy of consideration?
Is this thread, considering the source even not a violation of the TOS political ban issue?

infowars is a blatantly political propagandist web site.

Info wars isn't the source.... WBTV out of Charlotte. I checked with a couple of friends that live up there...my family is from the area. Not sure on the back story but the raid went down as described.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Well in all fairness the Alex Jones article played down the fact that the car was seized because it was illegally imported and had its VIN numbers tampered with. Does he think that the Reagan administration was over stepping its bounds when it impounded Bill Gates Porsche 959 in 1987?

Furthermore there was a video at the bottom of the page in which Mr. Jones tells us that an American doctor who was brought back to the US for treatment after contracting the ebola virus so he could get the best care possible was actually brought to the US so that President Obama can declare martial law. NPR doesn't normally include stories of that sort on All Things Considered.
Reality is that there are quite a number of cars that have been illegally imported. The federal government can legally seize and distroy them (right wrong or indifferent). That isn't a political thing (though the narrative can have political overtones); it's a fact.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Regardless of political overtones there seems to be a trend of extreme action to offenses. This could be handled by a single agent and some calm conversation. A tow truck could be called to remove the vehicle to a holding area and the rest argued in court. Reminds me of this story:

Heavily-Armed Wisconsin Wildlife Officials Raid Shelter to Kill Baby Deer - Downtrend

I drive a grey market car. It is legal and registered. However if agency doesn't do their research properly then I am afraid a situation like this could arise. What could a citizen do in that case? The powers that be have control and you are walking to work.

·
Super Moderator
11,221 Posts
I think I read the owner had a certain length of time to appeal the impound.

** from the article: The feds have given the Brinkley’s 35 days to appeal the seizure***

·
Registered
465 Posts
As always there is more to the story I'm a 4wheeler and involved in that community. I've been following this for a while. 1st thing to remember. Customs is part of DHS. There were a lot more than one seized. This is an investiagtion spanning here and the UK. All of these trucks with a few exceptions(Those were probably DHS screwups) all came into the country through the same importer who is charged with altering or stealing VIN Numbers in the UK. These vin were then affixed to newer vehicles that don't meet the 25 year import rule so that they could get imported. The vin changes make the truck look like they are old enough (25 years) to be imported. Some of the owners were duped. But it seems many were not and had some knowledge that their truck wasn't quite ok. DHS also seized several vehicles that have been here for years and are legit. Those owners are truely Pissed

1 - 18 of 18 Posts