Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
17,346 Posts
This has been known for some months now. :)

The Toyota iQ Might be Dead...

Toyota declines to make a statement on the matter, which to me pretty much confirms it.

I like the concept behind the iQ...it's just poorly executed. The "glovebox" is a half inch deep tray that goes under the passenger seat (and it's just an option), the seats (while boasting lots of room) are about as supportive as a school bus seat, and the whole rear seat deal is a gimmick.

I drove one at the Chicago Auto Show. I will admit that yep, the powertrain is much more refined than a smart's, it takes bumps much better, and it'll even turn sharper, but that doesn't save it from its downfalls.

I had a passenger ride along with me and the Scion rep; he's only about 6'0". Both him and the Scion rep were crunched together in the car. My passenger had his knees embedded into the front passenger seat and the Scion rep (about my height) has his embedded into the dashboard.

Then, even the Scion rep himself admitted that the rear seats are not really all that safe, even with the rear window airbag. He showed me this video (which is funny, because I use this video when I talk about iQ rear safety):

But the funniest part was when the Scion rep dropped his phone. He tried using the dome light to help him find it...but the light output from the thing was so little, we ended up just using my iPhone's flashlight instead.

But yes, good concept, bad execution.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
One of Toyota's few missteps, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's replaced by something smaller. :)

·
17,346 Posts
If Toyota is smart, they'll build something about as large as a Fiat 500...That way, they can fit humans that have legs in the rear seat...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Bought one. Wife did not like the lack of lighting, no glove box, hit her head when accessing the back hatch. I did not like the video game steering, the bland, utter lack of any of the things the smart has.....mainly the "warm fuzzy, cool, utterly in tune with you both in driving and in standing outside looking at the vehicle."
After that, with the lack of any endearing factors, it was just an ugly little, hard to access car.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Just goes to prove that sometimes you just can't beat the original...:)

The iQ is dead, and the new 453 looks to be a home run to me. I just hope MBUSA doesn't neuter it before it makes it here...:|

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It was outsmarted.
:hat:

I wish I could explain how eloquently that was stated!

I thought about it as a Winter car. Something small, compact, and FWD would be just fine, and I wouldn't worry about getting it dirty.

Then I test drove one...

From the second I sat in one and looked at the giant CB radio on the dash, I didn't like it. I thought it drove ok, had decent power, and looked good, but that was about it. Paint options sucked aside from Orange, options in the car sucked, interior sucked, rear seats... Were useless... I hated the hatch, I couldn't get over how bland it was. They took small and sporty and managed to make it boring.

Mercedes got it right. Toyota got it so wrong.

Now if only Smart offered America the customization that Scion offers its customers!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's too bad about the IQ. What it did was essentially validate the Fortwo by entering the market head on as a state of the art micro city car.

Say what you will about its CVT, its styling or whatever... it was really good for the Fortwo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts