Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
The Japanese, have the worst parking issues. This is what the IQ should have looked like.

Yamaha has a long and distinguished history of making fine car engines and outstanding motor cycles, but isn’t so well known in the automotive field even though it has produced golf carts and all-terrain quad type vehicle for years and its subsidiary Ypsilon made the OX99-11 super car. It's latest project, the Motiv.e, is a small urban runabout. It is the result of a cooperation between the company and Gordon Murray Design and uses a steel frame with bonded composite panels to add strength and a strong passenger safety cell. It has all independent suspension and an all-electric drivetrain. The show vehicle is powered by UK-sourced Zytec EV components, but word is the production car, if ever approved by Yamaha’s board, will be powered by a 1.0 liter 3-cylinder engine sending power to the rear wheels through a 6-speed dual-clutch transmission. Seemed well made, was handsome and well proportioned. We'll never see it here.

http://www.hybridcars.com/yamaha-shows-motiv-e-city-car-ev-in-tokyo/

Like the double A pillars…

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I LOVE IT! :D I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I'm looking at getting another tiny car for Winter as an inexpensive, (relatively) disposable appliance. Not necessarily a beater, but a newer, reliable daily Winter cruiser.

I've said it a million times, I won't put my Smart in snow, but I'm not buying a $30K luxury sedan to run through snow either!

Plus, the benefit to having an army of small cars is that you can fit more of them in a driveway or garage. :p I've got to say too, that a tiny light car with good snow tires handles way better than any heavy SUV or truck I've ever been in.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Gotta agree with Mike T, 65 mph TOP SPEED should keep it on the "city" streets? Not fond of NASCAR style "restrictor plate" driving on the highway.

This collaboration with Yamaha is a definite improvement on some of the earlier Gordan Murray designs . . .

·
17,371 Posts
I'm not sure how a car that's MUCH slower than a smart in both acceleration and top speed is a vision for a "better smart car"...

Seems legit...

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Only the concept electric version. Top speed 65mpg. How fast do you need to drive in the city? The gas version should be faster. We'll never know. Won't make this country.

·
17,371 Posts
That and despite several YEARS of being designed and tossed around to different investors and automakers, the T.25 and T.27 still aren't a reality and remain one-off concepts.

For now, just vaporware. :(

Maybe McLaren should build them. They'd capture the market like it isn't anyone's business! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts