Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
17,476 Posts
A push button start was one of my more ambitious projects for my 451. Being three years older today, I bet I could actually do it today. I still have all the parts in my dresser. Hmmm...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A push button start was one of my more ambitious projects for my 451. Being three years older today, I bet I could actually do it today. I still have all the parts in my dresser. Hmmm...
If you are going to install it, please share with us!

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
We have push button start on couple of our other vehicle. You still have to have the key fob with. So it's really nothing special. Another piece of electronic to fail. How hard is it to put the key in a slot. Turn the ignition. It's a shame it can't operated off a phone app. You carry your phone everywhere, with you. Lot of people loose there key fobs. My wife one time left her key fob, in the console of the car. At the mall. Push button start. Car won't lock if the key is inside. Not too smart.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Too H%LL with push button start. I want a pull start like I had on my 56 MGA 1500! Didn't need a key fob and any other tech crap.... Didn't even have true windows but I did have the optional heater.

Personally I don't see the biggie of push start/stop buttons. But then again I don't see the need for most of the extra tech found in today's cars. I guess I'm a true dinosaur as I think the reason for owning a car is to drive it from point A to B.... well maybe get lost between the two points and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,761 Posts
Push button start - we've come so far . . .

Personally I don't see the biggie of push start/stop buttons. But then again I don't see the need for most of the extra tech found in today's cars. I guess I'm a true dinosaur as I think the reason for owning a car is to drive it from point A to B.... well maybe get lost between the two points and enjoy the ride.
But we have come so far - everything old is new again?

Seriously I do find the 453 key start mechanism to be a PIA, nothing intuitive going on with that design!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Push button start switches became popular in the 40's. They replaced the floor pedal. Ignition key starting was introduced by Chrysler on their 49 models. It was considered a big thing back then. Looks like people want the starter button switch back. To me, it is not a big deal.

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
In the vintage days. The starter button was just a half buck switch. Today, pure digital electronics. 150 +buck key fob. Your guess on the price, electronic push button, software etc. Pretty sophisticated system.

BMW's key fob, and starter button.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have push button start on couple of our other vehicle. You still have to have the key fob with. So it's really nothing special. Another piece of electronic to fail. How hard is it to put the key in a slot. Turn the ignition. It's a shame it can't operated off a phone app.
It is cool to have a physical key and press that rotate bottom every time you get in and fire it up. But it is just inconvenient over the time. All my other cars have key-less entry and push start ignition. Tbh, I am kinda "spoiled" by these two features. On the other note, we do have phones, but we don't have to pull it out every time when we get in, because we have Bluetooth connectivity now, and when we start the car, the on board media will automatically connect to our phone. Android auto and Apple carplay do require plug your phone in for now, but they are in the development of making wireless versions. Apline has already come out one unit that support wireless Apple carplay. So eventually our keys and phones could stay in the pocket or bag without taking them out. That is some technology advancement.

I do agree that we still cannot operate it off our phones yet, probably because some security reasons, who knows. But I see Tesla model 3 will come with a card key (the size of a credit card), and you just put it in your wallet with other cards. So I guess they are still in the process of advancement on that part.

·
17,476 Posts
How hard is it to put the key in a slot. Turn the ignition. It's a shame it can't operated off a phone app. You carry your phone everywhere, with you. Lot of people loose there key fobs. My wife one time left her key fob, in the console of the car. At the mall. Push button start. Car won't lock if the key is inside. Not too smart.
In the 453 it's really annoying. The key hole is recessed about an inch into the right side of the steering wheel. The key guide is plastic and isn't that great at its job.

So unless you want to maul up the plastic hole, you have to lean over and aim the key into the ignition. It's not intuitive at all like the 450/451 was.

I do wish cars had the ability to be operated by phone, now that would be awesome!

Reactions: smark

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
I really wish I could operate all my cars with my phone. I can see visitors with my Nest door bell. Adjust my temostate, and lighting, from anywhere, in the world. Watch and record TV programs with Xfintiy app, on the phone. The only issue, if the Wifi goes down at home.

·
Registered
451 Posts
As if this car needed help to be even more expensive when it was new. I don't mind using a key... less crap to go wrong.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As if this car needed help to be even more expensive when it was new. I don't mind using a key... less crap to go wrong.
The price of smart has already been relatively cheap compared to some of other Smart markets around the globe. Just use my Brabus smart fortwo cab as one example, it costs roughly around $50k after currency conversion in some Asian countries, dealers are still adding mark-ups on top of that. The cars are selling hot. People wait in line for them. We are blessed for the price wise tbh, but MB still decided to give up NA market, on well, c'est la vie

·
17,476 Posts
Such a feature probably costs what, the equivalent of pennies on a per car basis? Push button starts are so common and so reliable today I bet you can get one on a lawnmower.

That said, MB does have a bit of an Apple vibe about them, so certainly they'd make a push-button smart cost $500 more. >:D

Reactions: oscarlqw

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
make a push-button smart cost $500 more. >:D
that would certainly be an option when you configure a car from Porsche, Ferrari, or any other exotic :laugh:

I got key-less entry and go options for my Porsche (they called it "Porsche entry & drive") and it cost me $800 :crying:

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,564 Posts
My partner just traded her 2008 SUV for a new Nissan Quest mini van. It has push button start and she has left the car running and gone inside stores and restaurants several times because she forgot to push the button to stop the engine. I guess we are both getting too old to be out in public anymore. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts