Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the first time ever in which I can say that driving my smart was not very a comfortable experience.

During this morning's commute I hit more black ice than I've ever seen in my life. The roads are still un-plowed from last week's snow event, and the wind is dangerously strong.

My engine also never exceeded 150 F and averaged 120-130 F. :D (designed like that, eh?)

That and it's -15 outside with a -40 to -50 windchill.

If you're taking your smart out (or any car) and you're out here where the temps are far into the negatives, be careful!!!!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
That weather pattern is on it's way here. Maybe I will get a snow day tomorrow.

I had no issue the other morning it was around -15F with coolant temps getting up to around the normal 190F, just took a little longer to get there.

·
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm already more than certain that my thermostat is at least partially stuck. Engine was so cold the best it could do was blow lukewarm heat. :D

Now that the holidays are over, I can now definitely call smart USA about that...

At my job there are 50 other employees that work on our office. Only 5 of them came in today (not including myself).

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yea, I think I might take backroads into work today. I don't want to deal with suicidal highway drivers in these conditions, and the backroads have a lot more trees/buildings to block wind.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Shoveled 15 inches of snow from the driveway at -8 this am. Sitting at the clinic using my computer since all of my appointments cancelled.
The Bee stung that snow...a little slippery going uphill but the traction control got me here OK. Couldn't believe the two suvs that pulled out in front of me while looking straight into my eyes. One pulled out so fast that they swerved out into the oncoming traffic before regaining control. I didn't have to honk at that idiot...everyone else did it for me.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
...only emergency vehicles allowed here...till further notice...

Jetfuel...have a cup of joe...
yea .... we WERE heading out of VA early this morning ... now looks like we may not head out til Wednesday or so!

chief ... in Virginny 60's :D

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Shoveled 15 inches of snow from the driveway at -8 this am. Sitting at the clinic using my computer since all of my appointments cancelled.
The Bee stung that snow...a little slippery going uphill but the traction control got me here OK. Couldn't believe the two suvs that pulled out in front of me while looking straight into my eyes. One pulled out so fast that they swerved out into the oncoming traffic before regaining control. I didn't have to honk at that idiot...everyone else did it for me.
B ..... shoveled :confused:

Ever heard of a snowblower :p

·
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been shoveling the drive non-stop ever since New Years Eve. Well over a foot of snow has fallen in the past few days. There's now an inch thick sheet of ice covering the drive with a few inches of snow on top.

I gave up, it's an impossible task to endeavour alone!

The road department (both county and village) has given up on both plowing and salting so the motorways are especially treacherous right now.

·
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Boss is realized how bad it is out there, so for the 6 of us there, we have the option to go home whenever we please.

I set my time for 1PM CST. Leave at a time where there isn't heavy traffic so I can fishtail in peace. :)

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Dang, it's 44°F here, too cold to put the cabrio top back! Headed for a hard freeze tonight, all the way down to the mid 20s for up to 20 hours below freezing.

Pretty extreme, for Lower Alabama.

Y'all be careful up there in the great white north.

I am forecasting a mini-baby boom in the NE quarter of the USA this October.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Going to be 7 F. here in mid NC. in the morning. Wind chill is supposed to drive it down to around -10. Been 9 years since it was that cold here.
Like driving in snow, few here are used to that sort of temp. Houses are not really designed for it either. well most can handle it, but folks don't know how to keep their water from freezing, stuff like that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts