Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thing I love most about my smart, it reminds me of my old VW Bug. Not in the sound, or the drive, but in the fun to drive, in the oddness, in the sheer fun of the car.

Kids got it right. Playing is more fun than work. Driving a smart is like playing, just like my old VW.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
On these bitty cold snowy days like this. All I remember, is no heat. The sick sound of the beetles engine trying to start. Using the ice scraper to clean the inside of the windshield. I notice the little car in the video doesn't even have wipers.

One thing I liked about the beetle. It tracked fantastic in the snow, compared to my smart with out snow tires. It had a back seat too. 3 of your buddies, could go drinking with you. A trunk, to hold a another couple six packs. Pop in Reo Speed Wagon, into the 8 track player. Fill the gas tank, for a couple bucks. Such a simple car compared to todays offerings.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Smart sure does remind me of the old Beetle! My first car was a new '62 Beetle - 40 hp and the first year with a fuel gauge. Aftermarket deflectors in each corner improved windshield and vent wing defrosting/demisting. A 6 volt blower from the junkyard installed under the rear seat on the driver's side dramatically improved airflow - at least on the driver's side of the car. A set of Western Auto Davis snow tires on the rear and the Bug would go through almost anything.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Western Auto, head quarters use to be here. The big sign is still above the building, that been turned into nice lofts. My bug didn't have a gas gauge. I don't remember what year it was. They all look them same back then. A friend of mine had a 55 bug black with red interior and sunroof. It had wing turn signals in the B pillars.

·
Registered
738 Posts
This was way back then when I was in Southern Illinois, 1980-1986. I had a '68 and a '70. Both had the the engine replaced with 1600 cc engines. The 69 had five colors altogether; one on each fender and the fifth, on the rear engine cover. This was the car I learned the stick. I'd run out of gas a few times in it due to the bad gauge. It was stopped once, but when the officer saw the holes in the seats and in the floorpans, he'd just laugh and let us go. For $350.00, it was the perfect student beater. The '70 was a semi-auto, and blue metallic in color, and got it for the wife. Two years later, sold this blue one (plus a 75 Grenada and 4-months worth of allowance) for a FatMac :).

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I picked up a 70 beetle in Wolfsburg. This car had the semi-automatic transmission which I believed was the best creation since sliced bread. It made it possible to drive comfortably in heavy traffic.
It all started with a rental in Renton, WA which had me hooked.
I believe the transmission still has the edge over our newer little smart cars, although some here might disagree.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I had a '63 ragtop sunroof VW bug in high school and 2 '68 bugs when I was in the Navy. I drove a modified red and the wife drove the stock green. I wish I still had mine now.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Would go out on snowy days and visit the "snow shut ins" (my friends). Take them to the grocery store and ect.
I have the same feeling with my smarts as with that first car 'o mine my 68 beetle.
Only back then, if someone had said "The damn car's cold!" I would have said: "I guess, never really notice." I also remember when cars were cheap enough to buy for someone for christmas. "Only nine-teen hundred and ninety-five" $1995 delivered. My bro in law had one that had split rear windows and the original tool kit. He got "the clock" as well. Cost a bundle-I think not sure $38. A fortune whatever it was.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Owned a 73 beetle rustbucket, also a rust free southern 73 superbeetle with heater channels intact yet (rare in Wisconsin), a 69 bus, a 79 Westy bus, and also a 73 Thing with a gas heater in it. Boy that thing (pun intended) had good heat, but heard some stories of other Vdub owners burning their cars up with those gas heaters. Thing really went in the snow...

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I gave away my '62 several months ago to a good friend that restores them for his hobby. He's already got it back on the road instead of gathering dust in my garage! I was happy to see it go to a good home after having had it for 28 years! I could have sold it for money, but it wouldn't have been the same! I got a Chistmas cars with them and the bug on the front!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts