Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i drive my car every day, except when its nasty out, no problems ever..
so at 31k miles im due for a brake pad change (i can hear them chirping) i got new pads, on the way home suddenly it slows down and as if i have no gas pedal, but its still running, then i notice the three bars on on the dash where the shift indicator is.. then the car dies... im in the middle of NOWHERE.. I put it back in neutral and crank and it starts, still three bars, back in gear i go and i watch carefully.. 3 miles down the road , it goes out of gear, then nothing.. cant shift. I shut the car down and wait.. then try to start, i can hear a motor and clunking back and forth still nothing, then suddenly it starts, back in gear i go and off.. yet still three bars... I am very concerned.. I park the car for a few hours and go back and start still get the clunking as if its hunting in the transmission.. then it starts, and i can shift normally or in auto, but no indication what gear i am in...
Ok now im home and got the car in the garage, up in the air...
what should i look for.. and the fix..

now im am highly skilled mechanically and electrically, and work on very complicated machines as a profession , i suspect there might be a set of contacts which tell where the selector is in the box, and that may be the root cause... anyone care to chime in? its an 05 , 450 700cc turbo... can anyone point to me what may be my problem?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If the battery is in proper working order and you do not have an MDC cruise control, I would inspect the connector and wiring into the transmission. Clean the connector and seal with dielectric grease.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes and in NY its been cold, lots of salt on the roads, today and yesterday it warmed up. i usually keep mine clean, and out of the water...but with the roads heaving...

yo think maybe a disconnect then a cleaning of the shifting motor/ harness is in order?
BTW thanks for responding//

[email protected] gets me directly.. 24/7

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FIXED IT!! YES!!
after some poking around i found the the connector to the shift motor which has a 9 pin layout was dirty and LOOSE.. then another with a 3 pin (shifter?) that was dirty as well..
both i suspect because of the extreme cold (-30F) had shrunk enough that water/salt got inside when pulled into the garage and thawed out...
cleaned both and replaced, then to reset everything disconnected the battery and found corrosion on the positive terminal.. and cleaned that as well... reconnect and off we go..

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
You might want to put some dielectric grease into those connectors as others have done; helps keep the bad stuff at bay. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts