Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I love my new smart Electric Drive! Three questions for anyone who might know OR who might know where I might find out the answers:

1) Twice during medium to moderate acceleration I have heard a brief "thud" and the car stopped gliding forward for a fraction of a second, then resumed. It has happened twice in the first 150 miles. It's very brief, and did not cause any other problem, I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard this noise or felt this brief "thud".

2) Will my range EVER say "84 miles"? When the car is 100% charged it gives a range of 61 or 62 miles. Starting out on the freeway once the range said 47 miles, but after about 5 miles of driving at 60 mph, the range went UP to 49 miles. So I understand that it is always adjusting based on driving style, load, etc. I just wonder if the range will ever say "84 miles" as advertised.

3) Here at work we have a new Tesla Model S. The mobile charger that comes with the Tesla plugs into a 220/240 volt oven/kitchen range-type outlet. The part that plugs into the car is exactly like the mobile charger that comes with the smart ED. Can I use the Tesla Mobile Charger to (more quickly) charge my smart ED?

Peter

·
Registered
646 Posts
#1 Never heard that one, but our cars do make weird noises
#2 Nope
#3 If it fits, it will work. It will charge faster than the 110V charger but not as fast as a Tesla charges, since our internal charger limits the charge rate to 3.3kWh per hour.

You can probably get a Clipper Creek 240 V charger that will charge just as fast for aoubt $500

Regarding #1, you can get 84 mile range but a lot of that is due to city driving where you regenerate power every time you stop. Since the car does not know what kind of driving you will be doing, it cannot predict how much regeneration you will achieve so you won't see that number on the dash.

·
17,360 Posts

You've waited a long time for this day. :D

In regards to your questions:

1) Sounds like ESP was kicking in to stop wheelspin/gain traction...which you being in San Fran pretty much discounts this...Unless you somehow figured out to trip the ESP system while accelerating, perhaps those two instances were an error????

2) The range estimator probably works like the range estimator in many petrol cars. It might base available range based on how much charge is remaining and your MPGe. As you continue to drive the car, I bet the full charge range numbers will improve.

3) I would not recommend using a non-approved charger, but if it works and doesn't fry out anything, more power to you! (Get it, power? :D)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Congrats on the new car.

1 - Not sure
2 - It is my understanding and experience that the estimated mileage is based off your mileage of your previous trip meter. So if you hit 4.7 miles per kWh when you park, your estimated mileage when you get in your car next time would be roughly 84 miles if your at 100% charge. I think my math is close on this (maybe not). Hitting 4.7 miles per kWh is not easy. I have never been able to do it but I don't drive 100% in town and/or traffic.
3 - It is also my understanding that you can use pretty much any charger (although I have heard of some that had issues) with the J1772 plug but as trooplewis mentioned it will only use 3.3kWh per hour max.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Number one Thump...I would have it checked out by dealer

Number two Range will go up after the car learns your driving style....if your a lead foot
it will not go up.....my best range is 90 miles I average between 60 and
80 miles per charge..Higher in the Summer

Number Three The Tesla charger should work..Plug it in and make sure you see the
handshake go through....Dash will light up and show charge status
You can confirm this on the ap as well.....I use a 240 set up to charge my
Smart with a Chevy Volt unit.....works great

Good luck and dont have too much fun with the hidden Turbo charger button under the accelerator.....you may embarrass a few too many egos off the line.....

The highest range I have seen on the display after charging has been 76 miles....

·
Registered
624 Posts
On #1, not sure but if it doesn't sound 'normal' (not slipping, etc.) then have it checked out; on #2 as always YMMV (your mileage may vary) but I can share with you that on our LEAF we can see about 84 to 118 range at 100% charge depending on the last run we did as well as if in ECO or regular Drive mode is on, the latest Tesla includes a J1772 adapter to be used with other than Tesla chargers but would assume you're not referring to a super charger so should be OK. As almost all EV mfg. recommend to prolong battery life that you charge it at 80% that's not great range but if you 'rent' the battery like most do I guess it doesn't matter much ...

·
17,360 Posts
As jimtesla describes my guess must be correct. The car learns your driving style and adjusts the remaining range accordingly. Apparently with the miles you have on it now, it figures that you'll only go that far, but it'll learn.

And I bet Carlarm's assessment is correct as well, the remaining range is a calculation of how far the car could travel based on your driving style, remaining charge, and probably any outside factors affecting the battery.

As for #1. It really sounds like ESP was activated. The only time that would make sense is if those two times you got the wheels to spin or skip. Otherwise there may be a malfunction and you should visit the dealer about it!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hello Everyone, I love my new smart Electric Drive! Three questions for anyone who might know OR who might know where I might find out the answers:

1) Twice during medium to moderate acceleration I have heard a brief "thud" and the car stopped gliding forward for a fraction of a second, then resumed. It has happened twice in the first 150 miles. It's very brief, and did not cause any other problem, I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard this noise or felt this brief "thud".

2) Will my range EVER say "84 miles"? When the car is 100% charged it gives a range of 61 or 62 miles. Starting out on the freeway once the range said 47 miles, but after about 5 miles of driving at 60 mph, the range went UP to 49 miles. So I understand that it is always adjusting based on driving style, load, etc. I just wonder if the range will ever say "84 miles" as advertised.

3) Here at work we have a new Tesla Model S. The mobile charger that comes with the Tesla plugs into a 220/240 volt oven/kitchen range-type outlet. The part that plugs into the car is exactly like the mobile charger that comes with the smart ED. Can I use the Tesla Mobile Charger to (more quickly) charge my smart ED?

Peter

1. Yes i have experienced that thud when mashing the pedal, a couple times actually. Don't know why it happened but it occurred after strong regen for a couple hundred feet and then stomping on the pedal activating the kickdown mode. Hasn't happened in months though.

2. Highly doubt it with normal driving. You would have to drive extremely efficiently in order to achieve an 84 mile range at a 100% charge. I start in the 60's. And i don't think its advertised anywhere with an 84 mile starting range. Most of us barely get 80 miles per charge.

3. I would think that you could use the charger as long as it fits in the plug, which it should, but it wouldn't the charge the car any faster than normal.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Your mileage may vary based on a) heaviness of your foot, b) age of battery, c) outside temp, d) speed on highway, e) use of heat or A/C. In my case, limiting highway speed to 65mph, when temp is 70F, I get around 72 miles range.

For each 5mph highway speed change, I see range change by about 5% (faster = less range, slower = more)

For each 10F temp decrease, I see range drop by about 5%

When I use heat at a setting of 70F, I see range drop by about 5% (varies a bit with outside temp).

·
17,360 Posts
I wonder if Tesla owners calculate their batteries down to the very minute detail like that...

·
Registered
184 Posts
With 4 times the range for 4 times the purchase price, unless daily commute is over 200 miles, tesla owners would not need to worry that much.

If you need to commute 45 per day, and temps drop under 30F, there's significantly greater range anxiety that leads to quite a bit more grey cells being used with the smart ED.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Will Tesla UMC fit a SmartED

#3 : will a Tesla Mobile (UMC) work on a smart ED:
Nope. Unless there is a TESLA >>>>J1772 plug. Which, at this point there is not, to my knowledge. I am a Tesla owner. The Universal Mobile Charger or (UMC) comes with a J1772 >>>>TESLA adapter, but not the other way around.
The smart ED is. J1772. I have test driven a smart ED as of yesterday. (Great car BTW) and yep, the ED has a J1772 female plug in.
The TESLA port is TESLA only. Tesla gives us a J1772 to Tesla plug with the UMC so that if we have to use a J1772 charger (like Chargepoint for instance,) we can slide this adapter into the male end of the Chargepoint J1772 plug, and we can then slide it into our Tesla port. Superchargers are TESLA port only. So, if you go try to use one, in your smartED, IT WONT FIT into your J1772 port. Hope this helps answer your #3 question.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've had ESP activate in completely dry weather on city roads. It usually happens when I'm doing a reckless turn :D however, I've also seen it on poor quality roads (potholes, uneven, etc.) with normal driving.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have driven round trip 80 to 84 miles, mostly highway Routes 80, 10 & 46; Clifton to Budd Lake in NJ, a small bit of local and came home having used about 90-95 % of battery. Just stayed at the speed limit or just below to maximize range.

It made my wife nervous to hit 20% so the next time we used chargepoint and found a half dozen level 2 evses on the way home. We then started to stop for a half hour or hour on the way home to eliminate range anxiety. When we arrived home had 18% of battery left but our true usage was 90-95% of a full battery to do the 84 miles.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Try adding air to the tires...
I think they are 300 KPA max, I put in 275...
Hypermile, draft (Ford F150's are great, three car lengths back, and your getting pulled along with your foot nearly off the gas), anticipate lights, no jackrabbit starts, and warm (or cool) the interior before unplugging...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts