Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit that I love the look of the Thule Bike Rack, and want to buy one. You can find these on eBay under:

"Smart Car Bike Rack Single Bicycle by Thule."

They're expensive, but I'm willing to pay for what I want.

1) Does anyone here use one, and if so, can you share your experience? I found only one recommendation in a previous thread. (Thanks, wrumbarger!) But I would like more recommendations before investing.

2) Does anyone know their story. They aren't listed on the Thule website. Presumably they no longer make them. I assume someone bought them all and sells them on eBay. When did they make them, and for how long? Why did they stop? Sales? Technical problems with the product? Is this eBay company reliable? I can find them nowhere else.

Please do not reply with a list of other good alternatives. It may distract the thread from the topic title. I know what I want, if the quality is suitable.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found some very negative SCOA threads about 4smartcar.com, the company that sells these bike racks on eBay. My apologies to the forum for not searching more before posting. Some negative comments about the racks as well, which surprised me, since Thule seems to be well-respected.

Nonetheless, these bike racks interest me. So, please, if you own one or otherwise have first-hand experience, share it! If you know anything about the history, and why Thule no longer sells them, please share.

(To carry the bike on the car, RVGRINGO, not the car on the bike.)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
The rack itself is made by THULE (a highly respected company) and is intended to attach to a roof rack.

The attachment hardware to put it on the back of the smart is made by 4smartcar.com and (as you found mentioned) there have been a few issues.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
As many have said in the past (including me) go with a hitch. Then you can add any type of rack you would like... so and a small trailer if desired. I used one that is nla from Smart Universe back in 08 when my carbio was new. Still use it daily either carrying a couple of rack on an older Performance hitch rack or transporting a couple of kayaks on my rack and roll trailer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts