Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since you are very knowledgeable on Smart 451 ED I have a simple question regarding a "Thumping noise" I hear only when on power or regen. It seems Torque sensitive not speed related. Not motor mounts, not CV axles and I have replaced the motor too due to it sounding like a bad bearing or rotor rubbing the stator... The noise is still there. I also changed the gear oil and saw absolutely no metal particles. Can the VFD Drive unit make a thumping noise? Maybe something came loose inside?

·
Registered
51 Posts
"Thumping noise" I hear only when on power or regen. It seems Torque sensitive not speed related. Not motor mounts, not CV axles and I have replaced the motor too due to it sounding like a bad bearing or rotor rubbing the stator... Can the VFD Drive unit make the noise
Maybe Len is right and a new thread would be fine. Maybe Len can shift this posts.

I am need to think about. Is the thumbing noise onky during start the drive? This is caused by the recalibration of the EPS sensors. You need to check the wheel diameters and maybe the sensors. Also the right wheel diameter could be entered in the central gateway unit by a tester.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe Len is right and a new thread would be fine. Maybe Len can shift this posts.

I am need to think about. Is the thumbing noise onky during start the drive? This is caused by the recalibration of the EPS sensors. You need to check the wheel diameters and maybe the sensors. Also the right wheel diameter could be entered in the central gateway unit by a tester.
Thank you for replying to my thread, however let me explain, I have had the car 3 years, I have modified it endlessly 🤣
But since my latest mod wide body 10 months ago everything was fine, just last month this odd thumping noise showed up.
As I stated above, I have changed a few suspicious parts but no avail.
I'm thinking it's the VFD, it sounds like a pigeon coo 🤔

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
I am starting this thread to move some posts unrelated to the thread where they were first posted.

Len

1 - 4 of 4 Posts