Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we are one week into November it's very probable that many people will begin getting their new Smart cars in less than two months.

I know that many of us have also been following the stories of the Smart cars of our Canadian neighbors and have been learning from their experiences.

What puzzles me is that many of them have purchased products for their cars already from companies like the Tire Rack and have even shared with the world information about tires that are available and mag wheels. That's why I'm confused why those very companies still don't have the Smart Car listed as a vehicle among their 2008 offerings.

Since the car has been sold for a decade there has to be information available about it so it's not like they have to wait for some top secret information to be released. IT's also being delivered around the world right now, so it's none too soon to at least have it listed in their catalogs, especially their online catalogs.

How many automobile companies can boast that they KNOW they have over 30,000 of these cars sold before they even are produced? I'm just surprised that not more vendors are jumping on this bandwagon.

I have contacted the Tire Rack to ask this very question and am waiting on them to reply. I'm wanting to buy some snow/winter tires and have them ready when my car arrives not six months later when the companies 'wake up'.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
"Snow Time Ain't No Time..."

To be dinking around finding snow tires. But, from what I read, the cars may come with all weather Continentals ready to go. If so that would get us home and the Smart tucked away until Spring. :D

But after this long wait, could we stand not to drive it for three more months. :(

A2jack.

·
Registered
798 Posts
To be dinking around finding snow tires. But, from what I read, the cars may come with all weather Continentals ready to go. If so that would get us home and the Smart tucked away until Spring. :D

But after this long wait, could we stand not to drive it for three more months. :(

A2jack.
I know what you mean, the dreaded San Diego snow drifts are going to put a cramp in my driving style :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hankook Snow Tires-not in the US.....

After reading very positive things out of Canada about the Hankook Snow Bears for winter tires on the Smart car, I wrote to Hankook's headquarters to see if they had anybody selling Hankooks in the United States. Unfortunately, their response was that there is NOBODY selling Hankooks in the United States currently. I also contacted a couple of other major tire distributors to see when they might have something available. Currently "The Tire Rack" carries one alloy wheel for them (the Rial LeMans) and apparently just Continental tires. My representative stated that they were working on updating that with the introduction of the new car in the U. S.

Anybody know how much 'tariff' one would have to pay on seven or eight hundred dollar purchase of tires and wheels to get them into the country from Canada? I've never bought anything of that magnitude and brought over the border.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Anybody know how much 'tariff' one would have to pay on seven or eight hundred dollar purchase of tires and wheels to get them into the country from Canada? I've never bought anything of that magnitude and brought over the border.
For most things, the first $400 is non-levied. Beyond that you may either pay or "finesse." (If you want to you could "drive them over," but I say that knowing that it is illegal and I don't condone it.) Just pay your way if you want it that bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts