Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of Smartie in January '08, just hit 90K, so it was time for the third spark plug change. I did the change at 30K & 60K and didn't recall any big problem. Opened the engine compartment and stuck my nose and light in. Oh, what's all this corrosion on the 10mm bolts that secure the coils. No way does a 10mm socket go over that head. And we all know how tight a place it is. Thought for a long time, then had an idea, looks like a job for a dentist. Just happen to have a set of dentist picks and a forehead LED. Took an hour or so to scrap off the heads, but I was finally able to get a socket on and break them loose. The old plugs looked good, all three had a nice light tan color (NGK, LKR7B-9), gap had opened up to about .043. 90,000 miles of 89 octane. At 76, I don't I'll ever change then again

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,811 Posts
I am 74 and like you am starting to look at projects on my smart as "Well that's the last time to have to do that".

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
My whole new house, has all LED lighting. They will out last me.
After being in a couple of smart rallies myself and seeing pictures of the Nationals in the US we are definitely not the demographic age category that Mercedes-Benz was after.
Just like Nissan blew it with the cube. Nissan was hoping to steal buyers away from the Scion xB with the cube, didn't happen.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
After being in a couple of smart rallies myself and seeing pictures of the Nationals in the US we are definitely not the demographic age category that Mercedes-Benz was after.
Just like Nissan blew it with the cube. Nissan was hoping to steal buyers away from the Scion xB with the cube, didn't happen.
Kia, laughed at both the Cube, and the xB. Both gone. With the Soul. We love ours.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I see you are out in Lone Rock. I've owned rear and mid-engined cars before and I don't think it's just the salt, I think it's the heat and the lack of ventilation from tighter quarters that makes all the fasteners under there rust. My 2013 is in Boston now but spent most of its life in Madison so it has a healthy amount of corrosion on the engine and trans. At least it stays looking nice, like a Saturn. Just keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think I read that the Scion xB didn't end up being purchased by young people either! In fact, the whole brand was aimed at young people but if there's one thing young people can see it's a transparent and cynical attempt to market something to them! I'm old now, but I remember this being the case when I was young too. It seems like the marketers trying to appeal to 20 somethings are usually in their 30s and 40s and miss the boat entirely. Of all those cars I think I'd take the Nissan Cube because it was just so wacky!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I guess that now we have to know how old you are. I'm old enough to have bought a 240SX new and before that a ten year old 240Z. I had a lot of Japanese cars and didn't particularly like any of them but of all the Japanese cars out there I can't think of any I'd like more than the Cube except maybe an S Cargo or one of the various kei cars. The rest all seem to me to be phony copies of European luxury cars or just copies of American trucks and SUVs. Love it or hate it, the Cube isn't copying anything. It's an original.

I've got a cube. I quite like it.
Jim

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
299 Posts
Turned 60 last November.

I'll have to dig up a picture in the morning.
Burgundy, with pinstripe flames and everything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Took delivery of Smartie in January '08, just hit 90K, so it was time for the third spark plug change. I did the change at 30K & 60K and didn't recall any big problem. Opened the engine compartment and stuck my nose and light in. Oh, what's all this corrosion on the 10mm bolts that secure the coils. No way does a 10mm socket go over that head. And we all know how tight a place it is. Thought for a long time, then had an idea, looks like a job for a dentist. Just happen to have a set of dentist picks and a forehead LED. Took an hour or so to scrap off the heads, but I was finally able to get a socket on and break them loose. The old plugs looked good, all three had a nice light tan color (NGK, LKR7B-9), gap had opened up to about .043. 90,000 miles of 89 octane. At 76, I don't I'll ever change then again
I need new plugs but have to have it done ar a shop. How much is a fair price to replace plugs using a good brand like Denso Iridium Spark Plugs? Why 89 octane? My car sticker on the gas door says 91 oct. min Is it a very difficult job How long would it take a mechanic to change the three pugs?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I need new plugs but have to have it done ar a shop. How much is a fair price to replace plugs using a good brand like Denso Iridium Spark Plugs? Why 89 octane? My car sticker on the gas door says 91 oct. min Is it a very difficult job How long would it take a mechanic to change the three pugs?
It's the fact of the Mitsu engine being angled towards the back. I've done it on 3ea. 451s to much swearing and socket extension combinations. At least the coil packs are consistent between the Mitsubisi and Renault platforms.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A good competent independent mechanic should be able to change them in about an hour. Most shops are in the $100 - $125 per hour range plus the plugs.. NGK plugs have worked fine for me and are cheap. I don't see a big advantage in the Denso's. I've run the 89 because it's cheaper and the computer adjusts for the lower octane. I probably get a couple of miles to the gallon less.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Tell me about this computer adjustment. On my resent the more I drive my Smart the better it got. The primary notice is how it is handling hills. By time I got my Smart back to NYC from California it now takes hills in 5 gear at 80 mph that it would never have done when it left NYC. I would have had to down shift to carry any speed up the hills. So now back at home will my car re adjust to how it's being driven around NY.?. man if I could just freeze my car where it is right now. It's in real a sweet spot right now.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Look at that ... Another thing dipping our Smarts in oil would prevent. Corrosion on those bolts. Lube Lube Lube.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts