Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 smart is approaching the 84,000 mile mark and I would like to know:
Does the car have a timing chain?
Is the engine an interference engine (the valves mash into the head if the belt/chain breaks?

When do you change or inspect for a new belt chain?
I believe it has a chain and is an interference type engine

I have had so many problems with my smart I just don't want to spend more money on it ( 2 clutches, 3 coils, 2 rear seals, new oil pan plus many other smaller items.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yes, it has a timing chain. if the chain breaks, wouldn't the valve springs keep the valves closed? Sorry to hear that you have had so many trials and travails

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Yes, it has a timing chain. if the chain breaks, wouldn't the valve springs keep the valves closed? Sorry to hear that you have had so many trials and travails

The cams will stop where they are, on top of a lobe or not, so some of the valves will stay open. I believe it is an interference engine, but not 100% sure.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The cams will stop where they are, on top of a lobe or not, so some of the valves will stay open. I believe it is an interference engine, but not 100% sure.
This is absolutely correct as I've taken my engine apart more then anyone on here...

As far as replacing the chain, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Being an auto mechanic we typically replace timing belts around 100k miles and visually check for cracks, splits etc but that's the nature of rubber but the chain itself is metal and on the factory engine there's not enough abuse going on to warrant you to worry about the chain.

Sorry to hear about the other things you had to replace, the clutch are disposal item that probably got worn out due to electrical and control issues... coils are electrical issues but the chain is metal and since it worked til now I don't see why there's any reason why it'll stop working.

Larry

·
Registered
963 Posts
Most timing chains on modern engines are designed to last the life of the motor. Tensioners and guides fail more commonly but can also last the life of the motor but they do wear quite a bit and can fail. . The timing chains are much better today , Pontiac back in day for example used nylon teeth on the cam gear, it was usually history by 50k and sometimes the nylon would flake off and clog the oil passages destroying the motor .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Larry I have a roadster that just died no bad noises from engine at all dash went dark so figured alternator or battery I had just had replacement battery so took off alternator had that repaired, after fitting went to start it and just had a click one click tapped starter no joy so took started off, garage said they believed something had been catching it slightly, so the cleaned it up and said it works fine now, so I refitted it still the same everything comes on fine but one click engine won't start so jacked up road wheels and have found we cannot turn the crankshaft at all forwards or backwards,do you have any idea what would of caused this as the engine all seems fine in itself but it's not starting as the starter can't turn the flywheel as the crankshaft will not move?? May thanks for any help

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Lisa,

I am new here But just answered similar in another thread...

Did you notice this thread is Old? 3/2011...

Just a thought; You might start a new thread Asking your question to get opinions from the Members here...

A Moderator might come along and help you out OR place this question into a New Thread for you...

signed....BUBBIE

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Welcome Lisa roadster to SCoA. sounds like you have a pretty serious problem with the motor. It could be a timing chain issue, or a damaged piston, or maybe a cylinder full of gas or water.

I would start by taking out the spark plugs and see if any of them show damage or if they look melted. I would guess the motor will have to come apart and see why it won't move, I would be looking for another motor from a scrap yard .

We don't get many Roadsters on here but the smarts are quite similar and the basic motors are close enough to help with what we can.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Harley Owner and Smart too IMO

I wonder HOW you tried to spin the engine over off the ground.?

Yes IF it will not turn it may be frozen... BUT you really can't tell as Turning the motor over in Neutral is the way to check, IN Gear by Tires, requires More (***below)...

I do Not know IF you have a Way to turn that motor Over other than the pulley end of the motor. Motor Compression with the plugs IN might Turn Hard Enough to Not turn over by hand...
***Plugs OUT is a better way: allowing No Compression holding the motor movement back...

I really wonder IF the motor is bad? You never said you Checked that New Battery... The Battery could be a Problem...

I'm not up to date on the Smart Car but am a Very good Mechanic on Harley. Just learning here on the Fantastic Smart Car I have...LOL...

If you Have Oil, and Oil looks Clean and You have no Metal grinds if you check there in it, still think the motor might Not be the problem.

IF you want to check the oil for metal running thru the motor, YOU Can remove the oil filter, look at the oil condition there... Also carefully cut filter open and look at the filtering material... IF it shows Metal Grinds then suspect the motor...

More to this than just what I posted here but this will get you started into a Direction of "finding out what it is"

Good Luck...

signed.... BUBBIE

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,696 Posts
You have a NON-RUNNING 2008 or 9 year old Smart With 84,000 miles.
That you have admitted 'I have had so many problems with my smart I just don't want to spend more money on it ( 2 clutches, 3 coils, 2 rear seals, new oil pan plus many other smaller items.

It never was a great car to begin with, never had a wide market appeal, resale value sucks.
At the time 1959 Imperial originally posted this (03-02-2011) his MY08 smart may have been worth a little more?

No real need for smart bashing as today, it's just another zombie thread? :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Last time 1959 Imperial was on the site was end of 2011. my guess is the car was sold, or traded and h enever sopped back in. Hope he is happier with whatever he has now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Larry I have a roadster that just died no bad noises from engine at all dash went dark so figured alternator or battery I had just had replacement battery so took off alternator had that repaired, after fitting went to start it and just had a click one click tapped starter no joy so took started off, garage said they believed something had been catching it slightly, so the cleaned it up and said it works fine now, so I refitted it still the same everything comes on fine but one click engine won't start so jacked up road wheels and have found we cannot turn the crankshaft at all forwards or backwards,do you have any idea what would of caused this as the engine all seems fine in itself but it's not starting as the starter can't turn the flywheel as the crankshaft will not move?? May thanks for any help
did

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you try turning flywheel in both directions? I'm thinking timing chain seized it up. Pull the spark plugs and try rotating it mechanically by hand in either direction. Ounce it frees up, hopefully, turn it in it's operational direction and listen. If possible have the valve train visible and observe them for movement. If chain broke the valve train will not move with engine rotation.
My 2008 smart is approaching the 84,000 mile mark and I would like to know:
Does the car have a timing chain?
Is the engine an interference engine (the valves mash into the head if the belt/chain breaks?

When do you change or inspect for a new belt chain?
I believe it has a chain and is an interference type engine

I have had so many problems with my smart I just don't want to spend more money on it ( 2 clutches, 3 coils, 2 rear seals, new oil pan plus many other smaller items.
If chain slipped it'll still move the valves out of time and engine will stop rotating again. Unfortunately at this point things are getting too involved to cover in this format!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Larry:

Does the 451 ECU generate Fuel Injector pulses and Coil Firing pulses from the same reference source (at different times of course), and if so, what is that source? I presume it is the Crankshaft Position Sensor, because I don't find any Camshaft Position Sensor that I think should be used for engine timing.

I can monitor the so-called "Timing Advance" waveform on my OBD2 Scanner, but what controls the advance angle? Could it be done internally bases upon oil pressure as a function of RPM?

Why would my timing be jumping around from -5 to +15 degrees at idle? Is it possible a loose tensioner or internal oil system? The idle RPM also jumps around from 910 to 970 rpm

I have taken my 2010 Smart ForTwo 451 to several different dealers, including MB, but nobody can explain this rough idle behaviour and nobody can fix it, so I am trying to figure it out myself.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Garry.

IMG_2812.jpg
IMG_2824.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a rough engine idle at one time. I didn't check it as closely as you with diagnostic. Equipment. I could feel it. Turned out to be the front engine mount! Other than that.timing chain stretching could cause the issues you describe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts