Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With oil hitting 92 dollars a barrel could there be a better time for the smart? I look at the car enthusiast websites today with articles on 400 hp cars like the new Lexus IS-F (which they all rave about) and wonder to myself "what planet do these people think they live on?".

It sure isn't the planet I'm familiar with that is suffering from gobal warming and appears to be running out of oil reserves.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
You hit the nail right on the head, Lewis!

With oil hitting 92 dollars a barrel could there be a better time for the smart? I look at the car enthusiast websites today with articles on 400 hp cars like the new Lexus IS-F (which they all rave about) and wonder to myself "what planet do these people think they live on?".

It sure isn't the planet I'm familiar with that is suffering from gobal warming and appears to be running out of oil reserves.
I, and I'm sure many others, have wondered the same thing indeed, Lewis. You see all the ads on the TV for all these Giant SUV's and H2's and many many other large vehicles bragging about 25 MPG for Godsakes. You would think that you would see at least a couple of commercials with a smaller car but for the most part it's large size and more horsepower. Yeah, it's like all these communication methods we have are not getting the message out!
There's no question in my mind that most of this board's participants are very early adopters like I am and probably have a better handle on the energy future than most. I laugh when the local news interviews someone gassing up at the pump complaining about the high gas price and it might be some little lovely ladydressed to the nine's (the photogenic kind) refueling her Navigator on the way home from work...all by herself.
What basically does that tell you? There are many out there that still don't get it! Or if they can afford the gas price now, they say, "what the hell....gotta have it.
I see many changes coming pretty soon and I'm no Nostradamus! :eek:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am sure most people are well intentioned and would like to see progress on global warming and the price of oil come down but somehow for, I think the majority of people in the US, there is a disconnection between their perception of overall global issues and their personal behavior. It just doesn't seem to register a connection for most folks IMO.

Surely each person's personal behavior IS a drop in the bucket but a large enough collection of droplets can make a hurricane.

Even the Vice President maintained in an interview that saving energy was a matter of personal virtue, and should not become government policy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Small Government and Market Forces

Lead by example, let market forces play out, raising fuel prices will change behavior. Europe has had the equivalent of $6 gasoline, and slightly cheaper diesel for years. So KPL (MPG) is a selling factor, yet a small few still drive Land Rovers and Ferraris in Europe. Interesting no real Electric or H cars even with $6 gas for years. Go figure.

Behavior is also driven by cause and effect. As fast as the US could push away from carbon based transport, China and India will fill the gap, so in the end it will still get worse, not better.

So the hard sell is change your ways and things will still get worse or don't change your ways and things will get worse faster. For many, that isn't a great selling point. And we have seen time and again Government intervention in market forces doesn't work as planned.

Give people choices and educate them on the impacts of their carbon footprint, combine that with raising Oil prices, and the market will shift.

And if you have a wide open green lawn, plant some tress. We can do more than just slow down our CO2 emissions, we can help clean up the air with our actions too. CO2 isn't created, it is just stored (plants to oil) and liberated (oil to combustion). So liberate less and store more! :)

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Just as bad as the consumers (that term used advisedly) is the government. They will do nothing to foster smaller, more sensible vehicles. The have a large industry to protect

·
Registered
44 Posts
The "DISCONNECT" is the problem

For some the disconnect borders on absurd. A friend talks about the importance of Americans becoming energy conscious, yet drives his big Mercedes hard on the gas and brake. For his wife, who would be happy driving almost anything, he has a Porsche SUV. He keeps his house at 72 in summer and 74 in winter. He would rather change bulbs than turn them off, or switch to long lasting energy saving CFL's. Hypocrite or just totally oblivious?

Some good stuff in this thread...

I am sure most people are well intentioned and would like to see progress on global warming and the price of oil come down but somehow for, I think the majority of people in the US, there is a disconnection between their perception of overall global issues and their personal behavior. It just doesn't seem to register a connection for most folks IMO.

Surely each person's personal behavior IS a drop in the bucket but a large enough collection of droplets can make a hurricane.

Even the Vice President maintained in an interview that saving energy was a matter of personal virtue, and should not become government policy.
Lead by example, let market forces play out, raising fuel prices will change behavior. ...

...Give people choices and educate them on the impacts of their carbon footprint, combine that with raising Oil prices, and the market will shift.

And if you have a wide open green lawn, plant some tress. We can do more than just slow down our CO2 emissions, we can help clean up the air with our actions too. CO2 isn't created, it is just stored (plants to oil) and liberated (oil to combustion). So liberate less and store more! :)
Just as bad as the consumers (that term used advisedly) is the government. They will do nothing to foster smaller, more sensible vehicles. The have a large industry to protect
I think a big key is to point out the disconnect to people. The problem is it is hard, and can make you unpopular. Hopefully fuel prices will continue to rise and peoples wallets will be the bearer of the bad news.

·
Super Moderator
28,907 Posts
I hate to say this but a lot of folks live in a fantasy world, and that fantasy is the USA hasn't changed since the 50s, or if it has, that change has all been for the bad. The Good Ol Days syndrome, I guess. In reality, change is here and now and we (citizens and government) have not planned or prepared. It's still popular to beat up on anyone suggesting we will have to change our way of life - like we have an inherent right to low cost oil and to drive gas guzzlers. "It's the American way!" Change is hard and some folks will not make the needed changes willingly; they will end up freezing in the dark, to borrow a phrase from the last oil crisis. The rest of us will try to do what we can (including our smart purchase) but I'm afraid it will be too little too late. Maybe market forces or technology will save us but I'm not holding my breath. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts