Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tinted their own smart windows? I am about to & have done it on other cars but wondering if the door card needs removing to make clearance.

Looks like its a needlessly complex project to remove the door cards.

·
Registered
197 Posts
We had all glass done at a specialty shop in Chandler, AZ. Crystal IR limo tint on the back & sides, clear on the windshield.

$500, it REALLY cuts back on the irrepressible heat out here...worth every penny.

S u b R o s a

·
Super Moderator
29,450 Posts
Recommend letting the pros do it. Had ours tinted at the Denver Nationals in 2013, the tint film looks brand new. Combined with some reflective material under the pano roof it really cuts the interior temp.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did my own several years ago. If you need it to be perfect, have a pro do it. I did mine without removing card although it would have been much easier if it wasn't on there. One side looks nearly perfect, one side ended up with a couple of small creases that probably only I notice. I bought precut window tint on eBay for about $35. Took me a couple of hours per window but I am/was a rookie. Pushing tint under door card was the worst part. $500 for perfect vs. $35 for pretty good...I'll keep the extra $465.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The $500 was not particularly for perfection, tho that is what we got. It is for the new crystal IR tint, more $$ than generic old-school tint.

Radiant infra-red energy is tough to stop with anything else.

With it on the windshield, the pods stay cool to the touch on very hot days. Not so before installation.

S u b R o s a

·
Registered
806 Posts
Don’t tint those windows if you live in New York. I had to remove the tinting on all 3 of my cars to avoid getting tickets. There has been a law on the books for many years, but it has not been strictly enforced until recently. I was pulled over in 2 of my cars and given a warning. An inspector warned me that my Smart’s tint was too dark and would not pass inspection without removal.

Welcome to the land of over taxation and punishment for all if one person does something questionable....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts