Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cardsforcars.com/?p=79

Some industry analysts are skeptical about Smart’s chances in the United States, where Trucks, sport utility vehicles and crossovers still command more than half the market and gas prices, while rising, still don’t approach Europe’s.

Schembri won’t say how many vehicles Smart hopes to sell in 2008, but Aaron Bragman, an analyst with Global Insight, said he doesn’t expect it will more than 20,000, and sales will probably fall off after that. By comparison, the Toyota Yaris - the most popular subcompact on the market - sold 73,874 units in the first 10 months of this year, according to Autodata Corp.

“I think it will be a novelty,” Bragman said. “It’s a very niche market, and I’m not very sure it has much staying power.”

Bragman said for the price, buyers could get a used car with a lot more space and practicality. Unless gas prices hit $5 to $6 a gallon, he said, it’s hard to picture Smart gaining much ground.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Bragman said for the price, buyers could get a used car with a lot more space and practicality. Unless gas prices hit $5 to $6 a gallon, he said, it’s hard to picture Smart gaining much ground.
How hard is it to imagine gas prices going to $5-$6? That pretty inevitable.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Didn't buy it because of a "niche market"...buying it to fill a need for a small, rather cheap, two seat car that hopefully will be inexpensive to operate and maintain. Yes, I do realize that there are other vehicles available but can one say, "Very expensive to repair a hybrid"? And that is IF you can find a dealership locally that can do it right.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
29,358 Posts
Global Insight?????

The smart just doesn't fit into the "bigger is better" idea that most Americans have about their cars. The good news is the inevitable rise in gas prices will lead to increasing need for cars like these. Smart will be OK until the big boys start bringing in the third generation microcars; once Toyota, Honda, etc. get into it the smart may be cut out of the market or at least end up at the back of the pack.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes, I've wondered about that myself. smart will probably have to continually inject innovation, improvements, etc. into the car so as to keep ahead of the pack, so to speak.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Similar article....

My local newspaper (a town of about 20,000) actually had a similar article about the tiny Smart car coming to America, but then they showed a picture of what was stated to be a 'Smart' car being sold in China by Daimler.

However, the front hood appeared to be quite 'sloped' and long compared to the Smart Fortwo, and it had what appeared to be single sliding side doors on each side. I think somebody got the wrong photo with this press release, unless there is going to be a totally different looking Smart car being released there.

Any thoughts on this topic?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Big 2.75 propanganda.

Global Insights have been a key marketing consultant to the big three for 30 years. Haven't they done well!

The rag this crap was printed in is out of Australia/ New Zeeland area. Home of a very conservitive Goverment.

The Big 2.75 fears Smart because it is a Small car and getting more popular buzz by the day. Big 2.75 can only bulild SUVs and trucks and make a profit. They don't even want to hear Small Car.

I have watched The Detroit News (voice of the US auto Industry) Wack away at Smart ever since Smart's first roll out in Glendale Ca.

They ran a real negitive peice in the LA times knocking the Car just days before the tour. The peice was writen months before, and appeared here, in the Detroit News. In LA the peice was undated and the inference was the LA times was reviewing the cars in the upcoming tour.

Bad reviews are fine. if they are honest. But those with an agenda to kill the car because they can't match it... Are not.

Moral: Let's look closely what we re-print and not help the Big 2.75 kill our little car's sales.

A2jack.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think part of the Smart's appeal is that is a European product, not a baby benz, but an infant. The design quality shows.

Let's face it, there a lot of new car fluff without much innovation. The real innovation (LiMH electric cars or plugin hybrids) always seem to be a few years off.

The smart is a unique approach. I'd like some clarity about acceleration and the availability or retrofitability of the turbo. Otherwise, it looks like a good choice for a few years until other technologies actually strart becoming available.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Schembri won’t say how many vehicles Smart hopes to sell in 2008
B.S. - If they plan on building 24,000 in 2008 that might tell us something. And another tidibit that......they already have reservations for 35,000. Once this little Smarty gets out into the public during our "Green" period I think sales will go thru the roof. The media will be all over it. As I've said, Mom and Dad will put their SUVs and Vans in the garage and drive their Smarts to work everyday etc.... :) OMHO

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
And they will.......

Yes, I've wondered about that myself. smart will probably have to continually inject innovation, improvements, etc. into the car so as to keep ahead of the pack, so to speak.
I have every expectation that Smart WILL continue to innovate and improve such as with making them available in the not-to-distant future with PHEV capacity. Full EV capacity will emerge once improvements have been made in batteries such as Lithium Ion NanoTitanate, iron phosphate and other "hybrid" battery pack configurations that can be charged in 10 minutes and have twice the *sock* that a standard Li ion battery has now.
Battery technology advancements will be very interesting to watch as they evolve. Plug-in advancements have only just begun so who knows what lies ahead in the future for that.
If you are interested at all in keeping up with the advancements of electric vehicles and technology, I'd suggest subscribing to EVWorld. I've had a subscription with them for a year now and find most of their material quite interesting a very informative. :)

John

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Good thinking, A2!

You are absolutely right, A2! Not that we want to try to squelch any freedom of speech rights here, but no need to give inaccurate or biased reporting any further exposure.

Who wants to read untrue negative crap on here? :mad: Not me...All it does is make the thread excessively long because it pisses everybody off to no end and they all want to express their displeasure at reading such crap.

So that is an excellent idea....don't look at it as censorship but simply stopping the spread of unreliable, erroneous banter. :D

Yes, I do like that idea! :) I get too worked up over reading about things that are falsely represented as do many others on here so just don't post them.

John

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
You got it, SmartBob...

B.S. - If they plan on building 24,000 in 2008 that might tell us something. And another tidibit that......they already have reservations for 35,000. Once this little Smarty gets out into the public during our "Green" period I think sales will go thru the roof. The media will be all over it. As I've said, Mom and Dad will put their SUVs and Vans in the garage and drive their Smarts to work everyday etc.... :) OMHO
I start conversations with so many people about my ordering my new Smart car and they look at me like I have 2 heads...:( LOL

There is a large % of people that haven't a clue as to just what a Smart car is right now. You are right on in saying that once they start zipping around and become better known, they will start a revolution for smaller cars in this country that is unprecedented! As we all know, this small car is just not your average small car (like a Geo, or any small car you can think of that came out of the big 3's camp) that, in most cases is just a cheaply built little s**tbox that IS unsafe.

Yes....once open-minded people with heads on their shoulders that can think see these and realize that this is their next commuter car, they will sell alot of them. I feel very confident of that. :D :D

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts