Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i saw on ebay some cnc aluminum caps for these holes if you don't mind the price...they are good looking.

picture 1 are the empty holes

so i went to Lowes and purchased 2 3inch pvc end caps. see pic 2

pic 3 is the skew number. there are 2 different end caps (one with a thicker wall). this is the one i got so it would fit in the hole better. rhe cap is a little smaller then the hole so i took a number3 phillips screwdriver. then heated it up and made five holes around the cap in the wall so that it will leave a high ring around the hole (this is what makes it snug in the hole). you can see two of them in this picture.

pic 4 you can see 4 of the holes from the inside

pic 5 i spread black silicone sealer around the inside of the hole and around the cap end then drove the cap into the hole and smoothed the silicone off around the hole

finished

some ideas....paint them black (i did silver to make gearheads think to themselves what in the heck is that)
or
i thought about making a big hole in the cap and inserting 2 chrome tailpipe ends to make it look like a dual exhaust
or
if you have the means engrave the Smart car symbol in the cap end and paint the engraved are silver and the rest of the cap black
or
if you can get the smart symbol engraved all the way thru the cap then cut out a plastic milk carton and mount it inside the cap behind the engraving and put an led inside and it will lite the milk carton up and shine thru the engraved area
or
anything else you can think of

Attachments

·
17,479 Posts
Yep. Axle end caps aren't a new thing for smarts, they've been a popular mod since the 450!

Make sure your mod doesn't completely seal the tube, don't want and liquids to be sealed in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts