Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard a "pop" when driving my 2009 Brabus -- discovered my rear, driver's side tire was flat. Just purchased 2 new rear tires in June fm Mercedes dealer -- 1.5k miles on them, at most.

Tire guys are puzzled with what they found. Never have seen this before and odds are they won't see it again. The tire doesn't show any obvious holes or tears. The rim has a huge gash and crack on the inside. It had to come from a strong impact from the outside. Seems unlikely the inside sensor could have done this. Is it possible there was a stress spot in the manufacture? Dealer is trying to have me purchase new rims & that just doesn't seem right. What could have caused this?

brabus02.JPG

·
Super Moderator
28,247 Posts
If the rim failed smart should replace it, IMHO. You could go to the expense of a metallurgical analysis but that would cost you more than a new rim. :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
If the rim failed smart should replace it, IMHO. You could go to the expense of a metallurgical analysis but that would cost you more than a new rim. :)
I would think that MB might want to do that though. If it happened once, it could happen again; and if at high speed, it could result in injury or death and lawsuits, etc.

MB would just send it back to the manufacturer, and they would conduct the metallurgy. This is very common. I used to send material back all the time and the manufacturer would send back detailed reports at no cost, even if it was found to be my fault.

Cast alloy rims can have occlusions and other faults.

·
Super Moderator
28,247 Posts
IMHO not road hazard if the rim is defective. No indication the OP ran into or hit anything. :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like the flap that is peeled up is a lot thinner than the rest of the material.

The rim is likely repairable.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
How in the world could a person hit something/anything that would have poked a hole in the rim but not damaged the tire in any way????
My guess is that a steel rod, rebar, or maybe a bullet caused the hole and the tire must have a small hard to detect hole in it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
It is possible the rim was damaged from the inside when the tire was installed? I'd ask to have the tire dismounted and inspect the rim from the inside.:)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
To determine by what the damage was caused, the tire would need to be installed on a good wheel and inspected for leaks and the wheel would need to be inspected with the tire removed. The most likely cause is some type of road debris.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts