Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first off hello and thanks for having me here. I am a new to me 2015 Smart Fortwo owner and I live up here in Southern Ontario, Canada. I got the car from my brother who told me that it was a Pure but with everything I have read here over a few days now the tire sizes do not match anything on a Pure. I have to have a safety certificate for the car and in order to get it one of the things that has to match up is the tire size on the door plaque to the tires. My door plaque says the rears are 195/50 r15 and my fronts are 165/60 r15 but I cannot find anything that says these are the correct sizes. Now I have used the tire comparison tool and the tires match up ok with only a difference of 0.1 diameter difference so the traction control should be ok. I am just wondering why my plaque does not match up with any other literature I have looked at.

Thanks for taking the tire to look and have a fantastic weekend

· Super Moderator
18,148 Posts
Welcome to the site!

The door sticker should indicate the tire size that your car left the factory with. Those sizes are in-line with how Smart builds cars. The fronts are narrower to help induce understeer, and thicker to help match the diameter of the rear.

Some people do change tire sizes for handling, aesthetics, comfort, or ease of finding new tires. 195/50/15 on all four is common, as is 185/60/15 on all four. But if you have to have what's on the door to be legal, then the staggered sizes are the tires to get.

Reactions: gtilford

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the site!

The door sticker should indicate the tire size that your car left the factory with. Those sizes are in-line with how Smart builds cars. The fronts are narrower to help induce understeer, and thicker to help match the diameter of the rear.

Some people do change tire sizes for handling, aesthetics, comfort, or ease of finding new tires. 195/50/15 on all four is common, as is 185/60/15 on all four. But if you have to have what's on the door to be legal, then the staggered sizes are the tires to get.
Thanks for the reply I knew about what the plaque was for, and I had done my research on the sizes of tires that were on what I was told was the Pure. I had to go to the Mercedes dealer today to pick up an axle bushing for the rear where it leaves what I am sure is the differential/gearbox? I talked to the parts person and at first because of the tire size he thought I had a Passion convertible till he came out and looked at it, guess he did not believe me that it was a coup lol. He then went in and did a bit of research and there was a Passion coup in 2015 that came with some special upgrade and the wheels on it were indeed the 195/50 r15's so I managed to find my answer.

· Administrator
30,045 Posts
Starting in 2011 (I think) smart offered an optional wheel and tire size - here's the tire sticker on our 2011 with the optional tires:

Font Signage Gas Ticket Sign

At the time they came with a new 6 spoke wheel:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Tread
:)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Starting in 2011 (I think) smart offered an optional wheel and tire size - here's the tire sticker on our 2011 with the optional tires:

View attachment 71718

At the time they came with a new 6 spoke wheel:

View attachment 71719 :)
Thanks for the reply that is exactly what my plaque shows except there is no other tire option so to get a safety certificate I was told the tires had to match what that plaque shows so I ended up purchasing two new all weather rear tires the fronts were correct. Now if I could only find one of those rear rims I would be happy as my brother trashed the passenger rear rim on a curb last winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts