Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am assuming this means the wild goose chase of which tps battery is bad?
I got my stems on ebay cheap but where is a good place for the TPS sensors?
Can the battery be replaced?
Is there a way to figure out which is bad?
Thanks for any info.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Most of the tire shops have test units that can tell you which sensor is bad. I've had one bad for a year or more and have no plans to fix it. I've been checking my tire pressure for years and plan to keep doing that rather than pay fifty bucks or so to fix something that doesn't need fixing IMO. :)

Len

Reactions: wahi

·
Registered
793 Posts
The calibration might be off. Inflate the tires to the proper pressure then press the TPMS button. The light will flash a few seconds and recalibrate. If the light stays out, problem solved. If it turns in again, probably a bad sensor.

He batteries are not replaceable, but you can get new sensors in the $20-30 range.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ran across the same problem.
I bought a new digital Tire Pressure guage and checked it's accuracy with
my own tire pressure guage and they were the same.

With my tire pressure set exactly I still had the Tire pressure light on.
On the dash I went to settings and pushed the reset for tire pressure
and the tire pressure light went out.

So I guess whenever you have a tire pressure problem you just adjust your tire pressure and then
reset the tire pressure.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Did you install any LED or HID lights on your car? If yes, try removing them and see if the TPMS light goes out. LEDs and HID ballasts have been known to cause electrical interference that can disrupt TPMS radio signals.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
I don't have my owners manual in front of me, but for the 451's I think these are the TPMS options.

1, If the light blinks for one minute and then stays on continuously, then you have a bad sensor at one of the wheels.

2. If the light comes on and stays on continuously, then you've got one or more tires underinflated.

Len

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
How old is your cars. the batteries in most sensor are good fo a least 5 years. The tire shop hook up to a scan tool, to my daughters car. 2 rear sensors were bad, and then replaced.

i usually change the sensors on my fleet of cars. When purchase new tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts