Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched this on here already and didn't find an answer.

Question: If I have one sensor that is bad at 48K miles, should I replace the one or should I replace them all?

And: Has anyone had any luck buying these on Ebay or Amazon? If I show up at a tire facility, will they charge extra because I already have my own or is it better to go with theirs?

Thanks, Diane

·
Super Moderator
11,305 Posts
Best price I have seen is from Tire Rack, they don't list it on their website but if you call them they can help. Shouldn't be a problem with carrying in your own sensors to be installed. If there is, go somewhere else. I have heard of owners having problems with the generic or programmable sensors. Best to go with a name brand like Schrader that are specific to smarts.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
An interesting thread on a great option:

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An interesting thread on a great option:

Hi, Thanks for directing me to this, but after reading, I am totally lost as to what this is and what it does. How does it answer the original question I had about if one is bad, do I have to replace them all?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yup, I had one grenade whence putting new 195\50-15s on the back and the installer grabbed one of the shelf. It dialed in with the original 3 and locked in the "new" pressures.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But if one goes out, does that mean that the other three are short-lived and ready to go out too? I hear it's the little batteries inside of them being good for 7-10 years.
No you don't. They can be replaced individually. ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I searched this on here already and didn't find an answer.

Question: If I have one sensor that is bad at 48K miles, should I replace the one or should I replace them all?

And: Has anyone had any luck buying these on Ebay or Amazon? If I show up at a tire facility, will they charge extra because I already have my own or is it better to go with theirs?

Thanks, Diane
Pep Boys in Vallejo California broke one of my front tire sensors during a routine two new front tire replacement. Pep Boys did not replaced the the broken sensor and did not disclosed to me that a tire sensor was missing and allowed me to drive the car. I ordered the tires from Amazon, with installation service at Pep Boys. When I confronted PepBoys about the persisting Low Tire Pressure alarm, Pep Boys acknowledge that it has broke the sensor and agree to replace it for FREE. Getting the missing sensor replaced took a week, because PepBoys do not carry Tire Sensors for SMART cars. When I picked the card for the 2nd time, the Low Tire Pressure alarm was still ON. Pep Boys new excuse was that it does not have the right scanner to program and configure the Tire Sensor and the car computer. First, find a Tire Shop that service and has the right Tire Sensor tools for SMART cars; then, ask them the Brand, Model, or Part of Tire Sensor they use. Is the tire sensor in stock and how much they charge for the sensor.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Hi, Thanks for directing me to this, but after reading, I am totally lost as to what this is and what it does. How does it answer the original question I had about if one is bad, do I have to replace them all?
Hi Diane,

I'm sorry I kind of only answered your second question. Some would say replace them all, for example, if you are a very busy person, then it may be inconvenient to keep going back to the tire shop, as the next sensor(s) might fail soon after the first.

For me, I currently have time to take a car back, so I'd just replace the bad one, and that's what I recommend also. The "if it ain't broke why fix it" approach.

The complete toolkit with sensors is an option for keeping the stores honest. You can basically diagnose and program sensors, or possibly have a friend come to help you.

I understand that some people may not be interested in doing car work, but it is an option I thought you should be aware of. Sometimes with the amount of labor I may pay I regret/wish I had just invested money in the necessary tool and do as much of the work as possible by myself.

Jesse

·
Registered
715 Posts
But if one goes out, does that mean that the other three are short-lived and ready to go out too? I hear it's the little batteries inside of them being good for 7-10 years.
I would not replace them all and only the bad one. Of course insure it is bad by making sure all tires are above 32 Lbs the reset the TPMS to see if infact the light comes back on. I recently thought I had a bad one turned out a rear tire was at 27 lbs when cold. I Increased air and reset TPMS light, no issues since.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The sensor battery can go as early as 5 years old on the 453 Fortwo, as has been mentioned on other forums, but thats on the low side, and could last as long as 6 or 7 or 8 years if you are lucky. All four tyres with sensors will go one by one at staggered times by the time your first tyre sensor battery dies. So it will be four visits to the tyre company. Great!

On the Smart TPMS system, your low pressure warning screen would come on, either for low pressure in one tyre, or with no signal from sensor, due to a dead battery or duff (broken) sensor.

There are hand devices that tyre companies own that can check which sensor is not transmitting, then they sort out that tyre. You can buy them on Ebay if you prefer having your own device.

Finally, I am not sure about the USA/Canada, but in the UK our cars are officially tested after the third year at the MOT, and must pass it to get a road worthy certificate. The TPMS low pressure warning screen must not be on, or its an MOT fail. So the TPMS system must be working correctly, with all four tyres at correct pressure.

MOT = ministry of transport testing stations.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Well, you could base your decision to replace the remaining 3 if the 2nd sensor goes soon after the first. If it takes a while then maybe postpone the two remaining...

·
Registered
965 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, quite a few good replies, thank you all. Now to decide what to do. I'm in need of an oil change, filters, etc. and at about 41k on the engine. When is it time to do plugs, valves, hoses, etc.? If it's near maybe I could do it all in one big service. I just wished I didn't have to go to the dealer or 100 miles one way from home to do it. For all of it, I am sure SMad. & dealer would be expensive.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you do the plugs I had a bear of a time on the 451s. Bought one of this magnetic plug sockets and numerous extentions and swearing. After the 3rd plug In was pretty good at it. I changed the plugs on my 453 at 30k. Make sure not to break the receptacle on the coil packs. Just make sure to get dielectric grease for the boots under the coil packs. I can't believe how far down in the block the plugs are screwed into. Good luck on a fun filled endeavor!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts