Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use a different size tire on their 453?

Was thinking of slightly wider and slightly higher sidewalk

175 65r15 (fronts)
195 60r15 (rears)

Was wondering if anyone used that size,if there were any rubbing in the front? (When tires are turned)

·
Registered
166 Posts
195/60r15 is 24.2" in diameter; which is a good to keep in mind for stock height 453s.

I've lowered mine (Lorinser springs) and thus keep the tire diameter close to the stock 23.2".
I'll say it again 'The stock Conti's are Loud' :)

I run the 'Sport 8Y' 16" rims, 205/45r16 Front - 225/40r16 Rear, 23.1/23.2" diameter tires on a lowered 453.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mailman, you have no rub with the 205s on the front?

I just bought a stock 453 cabrio with the sport package hence 16" wheels, and I actually lost control of the vehicle for several seconds during the drive home while on a connector ramp with a fairly extreme curve. Discovered once home that the dealership, in rotating the tires, had put the 205s on the front and the 185s on the rear. That's when it occurred to me that the sensation I felt in the vehicle when I lost control was that a wheel had made contact with some obstruction.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I believe your issue is not rubbing but having more grip in the front than the rear.
MB designed the Smarts with thinner tires up front, thicker tires in the rear because they failed the 'Elk Test' with their small A series model.
Basically, you turn abruptly and the fronts are supposed to break free first, so as not to roll over.

Stock rim widths go as follows:
450 Front 4.5 Rear 5.5
451 Front 4.5 Rear 5.5
453 Front 5.0 Rear 5.5 (15")
453 Front 6.0 Rear 6.5 (16")

The 453 was designed with the least amount of 'understeer' with only 0.5" difference between front and rear.
So in my case with 205s up front, I chose (and located in Europe actually) 225s for the rear, preserving the 1" tire width difference.

The 'spec' sticker on the tires in the picture above is USA on the left and EU on the right.
Interestingly, the EU sticker has the '71db' at the bottom for tire noise.
I looked up the EU sticker for the stock Contis and they are '94db'!...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts