Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i stopped by Discount tire to ask a couple of questions and while i was waiting i noticed two tires in the rack with the same size label. So i asked someone why the difference in sizes (both were 225/60x16) because i thought DOT had tire standards.....that all tires were about the same size give or take a few centimeters. one was a pirelli and the other was something else. now we're talking about one inch higher and 1.5 inches wider(pirelli). i kept asking the guy why the difference because there were standards on sizes in the tire industry. all he could keep on saying was the pirelli was of high quality and i told him good but that has nothing to do with the sizing and all he could say it did. unless i am wrong if a car calls for that size then the car will ride and handle differently.

do i have a screw loose or marble missing?

oh and you'll crack up on this one, a question i asked was to verify i could put a 175/55 on a 4.5 rim and not have a problem. Sorry sir we can't mount tires and half size rims.....DUH!

·
Registered
922 Posts
There are slight tire size variations between and within manufacturers. However, TireRack only sells two Pirelli tires in 225/60-16, the P7 all season and the P4 all season, and if you compare it with identically sized tires from Michelin like the Defender and Premier A/S, the mounted tire heights vary only by 0.2 inches.

·
17,479 Posts
Tucker has 195/50/15 tyres on all four corners. However my rear tyres are Nankang while the fronts are Sentury (oh yeah I'm that cheap baby).

Firstly, the Senturys are the worst tyres my smart has ever worn. They make the Kumho Ecsta ASTs seem luxurious. Never, and I mean NEVER, get Senturys. Sure, they have great grip in the dry and the wet, but gosh that road noise is absolutely unbearable...and their wear patterns make no sense either. Yuck.

Anyway, despite both sets being the same size, the Nankangs are a half-inch or so taller and just a tad thicker. It seems the design of the tyres (for starters, they have more treadwear than the Senturys) lend them to being bulkier all the way around.

Like InjuredAgain said, it's mainly just the difference between brands, as well as the construction/design of the tyre and other factors.

Just like with our speedometer accuracy, the tyre size is more of an approximation than an exact measure.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i can understand a slight variation but come on.....that much. not hardly

by the way Miss Mercedes i presume you are British (tyres, tad). just curious where did you get so much car knowledge. it's nice having a woman that can talk cars like a man. i take it Tucker is the name of your car?

i think i will go back to Discount tires and see if maybe the wrong label was on that tire cause it is really bugging me.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
Were the tires mounted? If so, how wide were the wheels? Were they the same width?
Those all comes into play.

·
17,479 Posts
by the way Miss Mercedes i presume you are British (tyres, tad). just curious where did you get so much car knowledge.
Aw I wish! Nah, I am American. Born in Wisconsin, raised in Illinois! I think I picked up my writing and speaking styles from when I was a teen. I watched (and continue to watch) more British and International shows than shows from anywhere else. :)

I grew up with cars and various forms of transportation. It's an addiction of mine. One second, I'll be talking to you about the torque of a diesel, the next I'll be talking about the awesomeness that is Dassault Falcon. :D These cars (smarts) are my dream cars and over the nine years of being here my brain's soaked up all the information about smarts like a sponge.

It is kinda cute, really. We've had people my age come and go here. But I stick around. I love it here. <3

it's nice having a woman that can talk cars like a man.
Oooooh that statement is delightfully paradoxical (or ironic). <3 Though explaining why (the colours of my avatar give it away) may perhaps be better fit for PM (feel free to PM me if you're curious). :D

i take it Tucker is the name of your car?
Yes! Tucker is my 451 and Phil is my 453.

Tucker's name comes from my absolute adoration for the story and fight of Preston Tucker. He is my hero and the inspiration that brought me to who I am today. Fitting that the first iteration of my dream car be named after my hero.

Phil's name is a reference to Groundhog Day. I realized that I'm totally going to be buying smarts until the end of time! Maaaaybe I might break the sequence and pick up a first generation Audi TT convertible or a Porsche Cayman..but who knows how many smarts I'll have before that happens. >:D

·
Registered
787 Posts

oh and you'll crack up on this one, a question i asked was to verify i could put a 175/55 on a 4.5 rim and not have a problem. Sorry sir we can't mount tires and half size rims.....DUH!
The Discount Tire in Sequim, WA told me that the maximum tire size for the front 15"x4.5" rims on my 2009 Passion is 175/55/15. I posted something to that effect in one of my General Altimax 195/55/15 posts.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, the issue on this post was not about the 175 tires but why two ties labeled the same size were in fact so different in size

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
The true way to measure a tire is on a rim with the proper tire inflation. measuring an unmounted tire does not give an accurate measurement as the same size tire on a rim. if you measure two identical tire brands, series and size tires without them being mounted, not only can they be different measurements, but they will also appear egg shaped. Once they are full of air (correct pressure) they will be the right size.

That being said, there may be a slight size variation between brands and as said, depending on the tread pattern and type of tire.

And Preston Tucker was a visionary, truly ahead of his time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts