Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I put the larger wheel and tire size used on the rear of the Smart 453 Cabrio on the front of the car, so the tire and wheel sizes are consistent? If so, are there any ramifications to doing so?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
That has been a common practice on the 451 smarts but not so on the 453s. Most folks are satisfied with the handling with the staggered tire size. You could install the wheels and tire size found on the Prime model that also has a the lowered suspension.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That has been a common practice on the 451 smarts but not so on the 453s. Most folks are satisfied with the handling with the staggered tire size. You could install the wheels and tire size found on the Prime model that also has a the lowered suspension.
The 2017 Smart Prime Cabrio is the vehicle I was going to do it to. With same size tires and rims all the way around, I figured my 5,000 mile tire/wheel rotation schedule would be more efficient and it would extend the life of the tires.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
325 Posts
Okay, I have to jump in with my vote... Don't do it. Without going into a lot of detail here, I'll just put a link to my reason. Mixing front and rear sizes outside of the smart factory specifications on the 453 is a recipe for traction control disaster.

Just sayin'
Jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I have to jump in with my vote... Don't do it. Without going into a lot of detail here, I'll just put a link to my reason. Mixing front and rear sizes outside of the smart factory specifications on the 453 is a recipe for traction control disaster.

Just sayin'
Jim
No......... that's great advice, the last thing I want to do is really screw something up in my baby.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
325 Posts
I should add that turning Traction Control off in the 453 is not as simple as pulling a specific fuse, like on many other cars.

As I understand it there are a couple fuses that must be interrupted and the result is you loose all safety features, including anti-lock brakes, cross-wind assist, and more. If you could break out the TCS by itself, I'd take that risk.

Jim

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I totally agree, don’t do it. As the owner of two different smarts over the past 9 years - 451 & 453 - it’s really not that big of a deal living with different size tires front/rear. Many have done the switch on the 451s but things are different with the 453s. Relax and enjoy the handling of your Prime.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I totally agree, don’t do it. As the owner of two different smarts over the past 9 years - 451 & 453 - it’s really not that big of a deal living with different size tires front/rear. Many have done the switch on the 451s but things are different with the 453s. Relax and enjoy the handling of your Prime.
Thank you. I won't be doing it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should add that turning Traction Control off in the 453 is not as simple as pulling a specific fuse, like on many other cars.

As I understand it there are a couple fuses that must be interrupted and the result is you loose all safety features, including anti-lock brakes, cross-wind assist, and more. If you could break out the TCS by itself, I'd take that risk.

Jim
I don't want to do that. I won't be doing any modifications.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Out of curiosity, where are you finding your tires? Discount tire, which I've used for close to 30 years doesn't have the Continental brand (OEM) Id need for my 2017 "sport" Cabrio (185/50 R16 front, 205/45 R16 rear).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Out of curiosity, where are you finding your tires? Discount tire, which I've used for close to 30 years doesn't have the Continental brand (OEM) Id need for my 2017 "sport" Cabrio (185/50 R16 front, 205/45 R16 rear).
I was looking for 15", not 16", but try www.tirerack.com and I've even found them at eBay. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts