Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 09 Smart car for two Convertible and the alarm will go off on its on for NO reason at all. It has gone off sitting out closed garage for several days and all is ok, Then all of a sudden, it goes off..........Has done it numerous time. Is there any way to disconnect the "siren" horn sound? Need help........:(

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
After a while it becomes a habit.

Yes. After you turn the car off press the button on the console that disconnects the motion sensor/annoying alarm, then shut door and lock with your remote.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
My 09 Cabrio used to do that. :D
It turned out to be the microswitch on the tailgate was ever so slightly out of alignment. The tech bent the actuator to adjust it. I drove it home and then found that the car would not even lock the doors. The switch actuator was bent too much. I reformed the actuator on the microswitch to be more near normal in the middle of the range of adjustment so that when the tailgate is closed the switch is fully actuated, not on the ragged edge.
I have not had a false alarm since. Yay for me.
Good luck solving your issue. Apparently the tailgate switch adjustment was a common issue on the 09 Cabrios. The switch is located on the right side in the vicinity of the latch. The tailgate outer skin has to come off to access the switch as I recall.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I set the panic button off on mine yesterday morning at 4am. I put the keys in my pocket at 4am in the bedroom and the car in the garage started honking. I really don't like these stupid key fob remotes. Especially when it is made into the key. On other newer cars I just threw them in the drawer. Too much crap to put in my pocket and have to use the key to start the car anyway.so I might as well use it to open the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alarm going off......

Yes. After you turn the car off press the button on the console that disconnects the motion sensor/annoying alarm, then shut door and lock with your remote.
I have done this (but not every time) when I turn the car off. I'll try this again. Thanks for your response...:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to go into the tailgate and see if I can see what you are speaking of. Are there any pictures of this switch anywhere online? Thanks for your input and I hope that I have the luck you did....

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
My '08 did that too due to a faulty microwave motion sensor. That was replaced and the problem disappeared and stayed away.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
We found out last week when we left our dog in the car that her moving around would set the alarm off. Finally remembered that I could shut the alarm off on the dash. Because of the heat in Texas we'd never left her in the car until driving it from Texas to Nebraska last week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts