Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Out There
two questions.
I just purchased a 2013 fourtwo and I really like the little car.
I have ordered a set of genius wheels for the car and I am looking for a nice quiet summer tire. Any recommendations

Also I would like to beef up the suspension a bit as it seems to bottom out quite a bit.
Any suggestions would be appriciated.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Suspension travel is severely limited on the front. I just finished installing the Daystar 2 inch lift kit so that I could install a little taller tire. I thought that the lift might increase front travel a little, but I'm not sure that is the case. Taller sidewalls are the best and easiest defense. I have 2 of my 4 rims bent and ruined from potholes. Took them to a tire shop to get them straightened, but since Smart wheels on the 450 and 451 only have 3 lugs, they couldn't chuck them into their machine. So I have purchased new wheels and will be installing them this week.
I really like the Solar brand of tires from Walmart. It's called the Solar 4XS and I like the tread pattern. They are dirt cheap compared to other brands. In the $38 to $48 range per tire. That's hard to beat. I have friends using this brand of tire and it seems to wear nicely and be really durable. DCO

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Solar-4X...5035&wl11=online&wl12=237145278&wl13=&veh=sem

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
depending on the lift kit, some only lift the body, or springs and won't change the suspension travel. to get more travel, you would need more room, more spring, and longer shocks This also can change steering geometry, and drive train geometry to the point where things may bind and break. Any ride height or suspension changes should be done with a complete understanding of what the change will affect on the car (or truck)

Most suspension 'kits' will have a warning about what the effects of using the kit will affect. I wouldn't suggest this unless you are sure you know what you are doing. DCO appears to have a great working knowledge of suspensions, but I would be cautious in applying his mods to any amateurs. If you need more suspension travel, a smart may not be the right vehicle for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So this raises another question. DreamCarOwner indicated that my model may be a 450 or a 451. where do these numbers come from. I was told when I purchased the car that it was a brabus. I don't know how to confirm exactly what it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jzchen

The picture below shows the wheels I purchased. the company is known as genius wheels. I purchased the 15 x 6.5 inch wheel for all four corners. I have not received them yet. I want to put as much rubber on them as possible with out rubbing.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
A smart with a model year 2013 is most likely a 451. If it has 3 lug bolts... If it has 4, it is a 453, I believe they appeared in 2016 or so. (??)

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,568 Posts
From your garage pics, you do not have a Brabus. The original US spec Brabus first offered in 2009, came only in black or silver with matching tridions. When the Brabus was re-introduced in about 2013, white was also offered along with black or silver, but again only with matching tridion.

If you look on the door triangle near your side view mirrors, you should see a small badge saying Passion or Brabus. The Pure had no badge there as I remember.

Also, the Brabus model in US spec, always had matching side skirts and front and rear aprons, not the matte black your car seems to have.

Good luck on your new car and enjoy all the fun you will have.

Your car is definitely a 451.

·
Registered
922 Posts
"Quiet" and "summer tire" are kind of at odds with each other. Summer tires are generally optimized for grip, with comfort and low noise also taking a back seat to consistency and sharpness of response. A true summer tire will also not be usable, at all, if there is any snow, frost, or ice on the roads.

If that is what you want, at the lower end of the price point, the likely choices are the Yokohama S-Drive, Federal 595, and Kumho PS31. A little higher up on the price spectrum and I'd go Continental ExtremeContact DW or Kumho PS91. At the high end of the price spectrum, you're going to get tires that probably aren't sized for use on a smart, or have performance characteristics that won't work well with the smart's soft suspension.

You can always go to Tirerack.com, choose one of the various "summer tire" performance categories, and refine your choice there.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
jzchen

The picture below shows the wheels I purchased. the company is known as genius wheels. I purchased the 15 x 6.5 inch wheel for all four corners. I have not received them yet. I want to put as much rubber on them as possible with out rubbing.

I understand.

Smart optioned tire size that came with mine

165/60R15 front
195/50R15 rear

I went to TireRack and saw that these do fit 6.5 inch wide wheels, both front and rear.

There are very lengthy threads about various sizes people have used. Some have put 195/50R15 all around and noted no rubbing. Can’t vouch for that personally I’m afraid, my smart never made it past my original tires.

If you go to www.tires.com and find a local dealer, they are good about customer satisfaction. I tried different sizes on one car and I don’t think they charged me to swap out to a different size, just the first original mounting fee.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Just be aware that more rubber doesn't always equal more grip, better handling, or better steering feel. While a wide range of tire widths will fit on a 6.5" rim, you will likely experience the best steering response and likely the best or at least most consistent grip with a 185 width tire. That tire width allow the sidewalls to be vertical at the contact patch, and allows the shoulder of the tire to work in its optimized manner. A 195 width tire works best on a 7" rim, and on a light car, the difference is startlingly noticeable.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Update on the ALtimax,,, My front tires are worn out.... roughly 45K miles on them and they are worn on the inside edge past the cords. Sounds like I may need a new set and a front end alignment. They are on order along with a replacement pair of sensors.

Have to drive the LR for now!

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Yeah, I have owned it for about 5 years now. Surprising how good you get at tracking down problems and reading European electrical prints when you don't have a choice.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Sorry to have found this thread so late. I have Genius Darwin 17x6 rims all around when purchased from another Smart owner they had the TPMS installed and came with Yokohama S drive 195/40 17 all around. Great fit no rubbing. The tires are very quiet very smooth. They are exceptional in the rain and dry surfaces. Warnning they should be rated (-2) negative 2 for the snow. So they are indeed summer tires lol. Now the best looking tire to my eye is a 205/50 15 all around, you already have the Genuis Darwin 15 x 6.5. The reason my eye likes them better then the 17 inch tires is the thicker sidewall appears more muscular. My winter tires will be 205/50 15s rear for sure may do 195/50 15 up front so I'd push less snow. That thinking should push me to 185 or 175 lol .....but NO..... I'll just catch the bus if the snow is that bad.

Now Harshness of the ride is a Chassis Pivot Points issue they are dry and stiff. LUBE THEM WITH SILICONE SPRAY LUBRICANT. It will loosen up the Chassis unsprung weight. This is a must do it will change the ride of your SMART for the better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts