Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the hypothetical question:

You have a "late" reservation date, like Sept/Oct. You currently have reliable good looking wheels, but are under the "smart spell."

You plan to use your smart for short hops to the station and an occassional highway run - with plans to keep the car until the doors fall off. Do you:

a) negotiate the best price for a 2006 gasser gray market model.

b) negotiate the best price for a U.S. registered 2005 used cdi cabrio

c) bite the bulet and wait until either late 2008 or early 2009

d) plan on finding a reseller of an early U.S 451 and pay a premium.

Thanks in advance for your input, be it logical or emotional.

:confused:

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Buy a CDI now. Take the fuel savings from trashing your current gas guzzler and avoiding the disappointing mpg of the 2008's and put them in a bank account. By the time the US Smart CDI or hybrid is available in 2010, you'll have enough money to buy it for cash. ( Results may differ based on driver and actual driving conditions:D)

·
Registered
183 Posts
The only problem with the current gas or diesel smart is warranrty or serious repair issues. Service is not a problem as it is relatively simple and straightforward. For the diesel warranty or serious repair means a trip to Canada, for the gas these issues become more interesting. As far as anyone knows, Mercedes is not interested in having anything to do with the grey market cars now or when the new ones arrive.

That being said, I own one of each and there is no way I'm getting rid of them.:D

·
Registered
834 Posts

You have a "late" reservation date, like Sept/Oct. You currently have reliable good looking wheels, but are under the "smart spell."

You plan to use your smart for short hops to the station and an occassional highway run - with plans to keep the car until the doors fall off. Do you:

Looks like you and I are buying for about the same reasons. I think I would, in preference order:

1. Wait till my number comes up
2. Pay the premium, your item d
3. There will be people who buy early and shortly after trade because it isn't for them. Most dealers will have some of these cars

·
Registered
564 Posts
If the price were right (meaning less than the 451), a lightly used 450 could be a very attractive option. Personally I'd go for a G&K converted car, and steer clear of the cdi because of the legality issues. I know you can buy one here that's already been titled, but it's still an illegal import and subject (if you're unlucky enough) to being impounded and destroyed.

·
Registered
414 Posts

From an enthusiast standpoint:

Get a current model (...either by reservation, or scavenge).

US 451s are fairly easy to maintain, and will obviously accept all of the accessories and aftermarket products being developed. The '09 and '10 models are likely to be quite similar to the current '08 model.

Euro conversions will be dated within a couple of years--if not sooner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts